Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project FLTRI by HogPro

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Project FLTRI by HogPro

I just traded my softail for a 2005 Road Glide. I will utilize this thread to document the changes that I will be making to the bike for other forum members to follow. The bike already has stretched bags and rear fender, custom paint, Alpine stereo, amp, and speakers in teh bags, air ride, corbin seat, some sort of bars that I am unable to identify, and lots more.

The engine is a 95" with a mild port on the heads. The cams are supposedly se251's but I have my doubts and am yet to yank the cam chest apart. S/E race tuner, blah blah blah.

The first thing I did was pull the cam cover to see how the tensioner shoes look. They look great. The bike has 60K on it but had a complete rebuild including the crank and all at 55K. So, it really has 25K miles. I have a set of Andrew's tw26A cams sitting here that I took out of my Dyna and I will be adding to this bike when I get a set of heads and cylinders done.

The exhaust is a Thunderheader with a falsie. It sounds great but I have had my share of problems with TH's in the past. This one cracked on the way home. Hmmmm. Welded it up and I will put it back on until I decide what I want to go with but I am thinking of a Drago's pipe.

The bike has so much done to it already that I know I am forgetting tons of stuff but here are a few pics. I am sure I will have tons of questions so please bear with me as this is my first bagger.

I am thinking a HogPro Apollo wheel set in chrome. This bike has some 3 spoke wheels that no one here has ever seen which menas they must be some sort of off brand.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much of a project will it be? Just front end stuff? The bike looks pretty much finished. Nice pickup.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I am not sure yet but I am sure I will change lots of stuff.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Very nice...likie it a lot.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice ride, and it looks like it fits you pretty well. From here it don't look like it needs anything but riding.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I hate the rims on it so that will probably changed up right quick. I think I will keep it a 21" (for now at least) as it has a custom paint job on the fender. I am not sure what wheels to go with. I will probably just leave the rear as it has the stretched bag and the rear wheel is already chrome and an 18x4.25.

I am not sure if I am going to do a single disc conversion with a 13" rotor and PM caliper or not. I do know that if I keep it dual disc I will put on the Brembo calipers off the newer bikes as I want as much stopping power as possible. The flip side of teh coin is the looks are just so much better with a single rotor. I sell single disc conversions here every day of teh week and am yet to have any complaints so it seems that is probably the way to go. Vanity over profanity.

I love our Apollo http://www.hogpro.com/imagebox.php?n...rt-pic1322.jpgwheel but there are so many choices out there. I really like the Renegade Racine http://www.renegadewheels.com/Wheels...ne/Racine.htmlas well.

I dislike the Heavy breather that is on the bike so I will be changing out the a/c as well. Anyone want a Heavy breather in chrome for 00-07 baggers with the nice cover and a rain sock? $225 for everything.

The plan was to just leave the bike as is but I know myself far too well. Also, it ahs some bars that I am unable to identify. They look kind of like Yaffe OEM Monkety bars but they are not as they are 1.5" in diameter and theya re flat on the front and back and rounded on the sides. I got a few pics but it is really difficult to get a good shot of them as they are chrome.

I am going to swap the grips to PM contours as they are smaller and much more comfortable on my hands. The bike has this whole collection of matching grips, boards, etc that is not to my liking either. I am thinkinga bout the Cycle Smiths Banana boards XL which are 21" in length so I have more positions for my feet. http://vtwingoodies.com/ floorboard extensions will also be added.

I need to adjsut the clutch, change the fluids, and double check the stereo connections as well. The amp is in teh tourpack but it is not mounted, just sitting in there so I am either going to mount it to the bag or put it in the tourpack.

Can someone who has a bagger that is lowered 1" in the front measure the distance between their front fender and lower triple tree please? I am not sure this is lowered in the front but I think it is. I have a wrap around fender so if someone has a wraparound and lowered i guess that would easier to tell than with a stock fender.

The rear suspension is an air ride. I rant he part number on the shocks and they are Monroe's. The compressor is mounted in the bag with a gauge on it. The bike rides far better than I expected it to. The switch for the air ride is in teh worst palce possible. It is under the seat near the rocker box covers so if you reach down to hit it while riding you can burn your hand. I will move that but have not decided to where yet. I am thinking maybe the side of the dash would be a good spot. I could get the Arnott handlebar switch and put there as well but I plan on mounting a GPS or something else on the switch housing.

The horn is coming off and I am relocating my coil in that spot with some blue wires from http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/

Although the bike already has a 95" kit with 10:25.1 compression and some poorly ported heads (I took one off and looked at it) I will be changing this setup as well.

I am thinking a Fuel moto 97" kit with street ported heads. I prefer a lower compression ratio, something below 10:1.

Another thing I found is that the connecting rods as shaved where the pistons attach. I have never seen this before. What is the reason that someone would do this? I have set of Andrews 26 ready to go in but since the tensioner shoes look almost brand new it will be a long while until I get to this stuff.
The inner shoe looks worn les than the outer which is rare as well.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:14 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I just discovered that one of teh tabs on muy chaine guide for the other cam chain is broken. Gonna have to pick up a new one of those too.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:08 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great bike, love it!!! I saw TP mount which look much better than HD loops, do you know the brand?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I think it is the Harley quick detach mount.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
I think it is the Harley quick detach mount.
HD looks like that...

Quick Reply: Project FLTRI by HogPro