Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gravel, Rock, Sand Trucks Spilling Loads...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gravel, Rock, Sand Trucks Spilling Loads...

Hundreds of times I've been stuck behind semi truck trailers spilling their loads on the highway which really sucks on a bike! I just went on a cross country solo ride and had it happen several times including trucks dumping corn, feed and chicken feathers all three of which were a first for this CA boy.

Is this legal? How do these guys not secure their loads?

In Arkansas a Cop was right next to me getting showered with sand and he didnt pull the truck over?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know where you were, but in Colorado there is a law requiring trucks with aggregate less than 1" in size to be covered. Doesn't always prevent crap from coming off the truck as most of them are so loosely covered it doesn't help a lot, but there is a law. Not sure how aggressively it is enforced either. That Arkansas cop must have been late for his donut break. Bet if he was a motor officer he would have been pulling that truck over.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:49 AM
bent trix
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure of the laws, but living in Phoenix most of my life (we call it the land of cracked windshields). I have learned not to get behind trucks and if there's no way to quickly get around them I fall back 500 yards regardless of traffic behind me. I will lane-split to get in front of them if needed... Big no-no here in AZ. It's only wrong if you get caught, though.

Busting up the paint on my shiny black Harley is not an option. Unlike my white Toyota, which I don't care about and it's disposable every 3-5 years with glass coverage.

Ride safe brother!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 AM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive Commercial trucks and ride bikes here in Nevada. I've been stuck riding behind trucks with sand blasting my skin and the paint and metal finishes on the bikes. Wouldn't notice if driving a car, but you've seen vehicles with paint damage in the front. It's bullcrap, you need to be aware and avoid the situation. Steer clear of trucks hauling aggregate materials.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:29 AM
KiloGolf4
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not only aggregate but down here, you got to watch for chip trailers carrying pine tree pulp/chip. Even with mesh tarps covering the top, they have expanded metal rears that leave a cloud of debris in the wake of the trailer that not only strikes the bikes/cars, but can be a major eye hazard, even with a full face helmet on.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:43 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Its a big problem .I see crap all over the roads in NJ .They are very strict on the tarp or cover rule for trucks . There is a lot of trucks ,I try to not follow if you can help. I also watch the turn offs for gravel and sand.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't follow so close or pass.
Both of those work.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"stay back 300 feet-not responsible for damages" is a sign you see on trucks all the time. stay at home or take your car-loads are going to fall off trucks-always have and always will. it is an every day part of life in most parts of the country.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
"stay back 300 feet-not responsible for damages" is a sign you see on trucks all the time. stay at home or take your car-loads are going to fall off trucks-always have and always will. it is an every day part of life in most parts of the country.
And those decals are BS. You ARE responsible for securing the load in your truck. Anything that comes out or off of your vehicle you are responsible for.

Gravel trucks are all over the place in FL routinely crashing because of the bald tires, reckless driving and overloading. FDOT targets these guys and should.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Yup....pretty sure EVERY state has a cover law for trucks........but that doesn't mean crap won't be coming out!!!!
Stay back from it is about the only thing I can say, or get around it.....as far as though stickers saying they're not responsible? They're BS.....they ARE responsible for any damage caused by a so called unsecured load, even though it has a cover, if it was totally secured, crap wouldn't be coming off of it!

Quick Reply: Gravel, Rock, Sand Trucks Spilling Loads...