Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a Stereo to my Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adding a Stereo to my Road King?

Thinking about adding the Stereo Speaker Lids to my Road King, and looking for Stereo options.

I haven't researched it yet, but since I've recently added a detachable Tour-Pak, I'm thinking I can cruise around with a stereo and not lose too much storage on long trips. I was curious as to some of 'your' best FLHR add-ons for stereos, or just music in general. I have the Tach added on, so I'm not looking to have speakers/stereo up front on the h-bars.

Thanks to ALL who can contribute any ideas, FLHR riders or not.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I have tried a lot of options.

My two top choices are:

1. Good quality custom fit/molded ear buds with an iPod if I am using the windshield.

2. Or a detachable fairing.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:21 PM
zdrifter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the Boom Audio windshield system installed on my RKC. Am pretty satisfied with it. Fidelity is not the best, but it's easy and can be heard at freeway speeds. I've attached a bluetooth receiver to the input and stream music from my N4, which I usually carry in a saddlebag (don't answer/make calls while moving). I would just buy the kit and install it yourself, not too bad and the dealer charge for the install is pretty high.
Cheers.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How loud do you want to go?

saddlebag speakers will probably do the job for you, and you can use a phone or MP3 player instead of a car-sized head unit. Cyclesounds has a neat setup, which is very similar to the new RK CVO stereos.

I added handlebar speakers a few years ago & have been satisfied with that. (photo below) They aren't the loudest things on the freeways, but for 60-65mph & under, I can hear them quite well. Over that & the wind noise pretty much drowns them out. You can see the MP3 player that I use on the (supplied) bracket near the left grip.

They were also QUITE a bit cheaper than doing the whole saddlebag lid thing! Good value, IMHO.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:15 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I put a Kicker PXi50.2 amp/ipod interface on my Deluxe. You can check out my install by clicking here. Lots of pics! You can use the amp to power your saddlebag lid speakers or, as a pass through for a larger amp. The iPod interface works flawlessly and can be mounted just about anywhere! Easy way to add tunes without bar speakers or a stereo. HTH!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:58 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
I have tried a lot of options.

My two top choices are:

1. Good quality custom fit/molded ear buds with an iPod if I am using the windshield.

2. Or a detachable fairing.

I use my iPod on long trips - and it works just fine. I am looking at getting some better earbuds, but the medium-priced (Skull Candy, JVC) ones are working satisfactory at this time.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking of adding tunes, gonna have to wait till september, but I am going with a detach fairing loaded with speakers and amps. I have a killer system on my 2010 limited I need the same on the road king. I spoiled my self with the limited system, so now just one more thing for the king, but before the tunes I need new bars, the stock ones just plain suck.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amp , speakers and an IPOD.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the harley handlebar speakers, they were decent. Wiring was a pain.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I put lower fairings and Boom! Audio saddlebag lids on my RK.
Running a Rockford Fosgate amp with my iPhone as a source.

Check the audio section, or search my posts. I have pics and more details posted there.

Quick Reply: Adding a Stereo to my Road King?