Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade to new bike or modify existing bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:06 PM
k9t8m
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to new bike or modify existing bike?

I want more power. It's that simple.

I have been tossing the idea around about either upgrading my existing bike (complete exhaust, cams, tune, etc) and noticed JP cycles has the bub 7 true dual exhaust on sale that I have had my eye on the last few years. The only thing holding me back is the fact Im going to have $2500+ in everything listed above and I think if I sold my bike I could get a 2011+ 103" street glide for about $6k out of pocket.

My questions is, would I be better off modding my current bike, or buying an already modded 103" SG?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you buy the new one, you are going to have to do a stage 1. assuming you buy a new exhaust to eliminate the cat, high flow intake and exhaust, and a good tuner you are going to spend a couple of grand. your '07 with the cams and exhaust is going to be stronger than the 103 with stage 1. you have a nice looking bike now.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

Well, it comes down to you really.
You will still have to fork out $$$ even after you have bought the new bike.
They will still require a few $$$$ thrown at them too.

________ line is if you like what you have mod it and live w/it.

Myself I have an 09 and consider it to be my last one.

Would you be comfortable in having what you have for the rest of your life, or are you young enough to think that you will inevitably have a new bike?

I would say to ride the new one if you haven't and then compare apples.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:22 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i would keep your bike its not a bad looking ride. if you really want to drop the cash and,its all about the motor just buy a s&s or a screaming eagle motor. thats still gonna be cheaper then getting a new bike. unless the frame is bent i really dont see why you would get a new bike unless your wanting a fugly. so i would get a new motor then you can have all the power you want. ride to j&p this weekend s&S and a few other are going to be there you can look at the power they can give you. jmo

Old 06-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Bgill
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd trade up for a low mileage 09 or 10 with some of the extra's your seeking already done.

I'd also look at a 13 since the 14's are just around the corner the dealers are getting aggressive about clearing their floors, in my area the floors are still full which is not a good sign this late in the model year from a dealers perspective and it could be an excellent sign for you.

Last edited by Bgill; 06-27-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:43 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Myself I have an 09 and consider it to be my last one.

Would you be comfortable in having what you have for the rest of your life, or are you young enough to think that you will inevitably have a new bike?

I would say to ride the new one if you haven't and then compare apples.
I have a '90 that will be my last! Bought it new and it still ain't finished yet. Started out as an 80" and currently 107", the list is too long......

Whichever way you decide to go, you are going to be putting your hand in your pocket. Buying a later bike will cost you more up front, money that could give you some serious upgrades on your current bike.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If I were as close to Fuel Moto as you are (300-400 miles?), I'd be looking real hard at having them do a 107". They used to install complete for 2K(?). Looks like you already have slip-on & SE A\C, add their head pipe & PC-V and you may still be out of there for $2700.00-$2800.00 with easy 100+HP & 110+TQ .

Old 06-27-2013, 03:20 PM
k9t8m
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt be buying brand new. I would be trying to get an already modded 11 or 12 sg.

My bike is pretty much converted to a street glide. Id be all the way converted if I got a newish one lol.

I just cant decide if I want to spend the money on the current bike or use it towards a newer one. Im only 27 so its definitely not going to be my last bike either way.

I guess I need to ride a modded 103 before I decide.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I asked the same sort of questions at he beginning a of last year, stick with my 2010 LTD or go with a new SG, I chose go new again and love it. I am not intending on swapping anytime soon....

Old 06-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

When you run the numbers, what on your current bike would you need to have on your new ride? In my case, it would have been a lot, and realized what I really wanted was my bike, only painted a different color, so that's what I did.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to new bike or modify existing bike?