Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an Electrical Problem - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 01:13 AM
doch4m
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an Electrical Problem - Need Help

Howdy all,

Went for a ride today, and I have an electrical problem with my 03 Road Glide. Looking for help/input.

Here's the story.....

Needed to go to a Doctor's office on the other side of the County, about 20 miles away, to get a form signed, and then needed to go to Safeway for the little dear. The sun broke out, and it was about 50 out when I was leaving. Great excuse for a ride. Got the map out, and picked some back "roads less traveled" to take me where I was going.

Once under way, the little red light on the speedo (lights up before you start the engine, then goes out when you get fuel pressure) was on. Never noticed that before. Pulled over a mile or two out, shut her down, and looked over everything. All looked good, fired her back up. The light went out, and I continued on my merry way. A few miles later, the light was back on. Should have turned back right then.

Bike was running good, so I continued on. I knew this wasn't the oil pressure light, so I wasn't too worried. The idle was a little high though, normally about 1100 to 1150 rpm, now more like 1400. When I was about 2 miles from my destination, I looked at the voltage gauge. Uh oh, only at about 10.5 volts. Why did I wait so long to look carefully at all of the gauges??!! Quickly unplugged the electric liner, turned off the spot lights and highbeams.

Knew I couldn't shut off the bike at my destination, so I turned around and headed for home. Kept an eye on the voltage gauge, and it was slowly dropping, 10, 9.5, and on down. The bike was running fine, but I figured it would die at some point. Was praying, Lord just let me get home. Didn't want to have to park the bike, have my wife pick me up, borrow a trailer, find a friend, pick up the bike, etc., etc.

Got closer to home, voltage still dropping, 9, 8.5. Speedo quit working, tach was still OK. More praying, just want to make it home. About two miles out, was running a little sluggish. One mile out, voltage at 8 (bottom), and a little back fire. Up the last hill, and down the last straight to my street. Made the left, and she quit. Coasted about 150 feet, and stopped right at my driveway. No kidding, right where my driveway meets the road. Thank you Lord!

My wife came out and helped me push it up a little hill and into a safe spot.

So, any ideas? Battery, Stator, loose wire?

I did a quick look around, and all looked in order (no loose wires, etc.). Took the battery out, and put it on charge.

In the morning, here's my plan....

Put the battery back in, and start it up (assume it will start with charged battery). Do a running battery voltage. Ride it up to the barn, and get underneath it real good, and check all the wires, connecters, etc. If I find nothing, I'll start with a new battery, and go from there. This battery is 4 years old, and I do not have a trickle charger (will probably get one now). I hope it's the battery, but we'll see.

Any thoughts? Anything else I should do or voltage tests I should run?

Thanks!

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."[/align]

Old 03-03-2007, 01:46 AM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Got an Electrical Problem - Need Help

Sounds like your battery has a dead cell, and won't hold a charge. Bike can't carry the electrical load with a bad battery. I would just replace it with a fully charged new battery.

SteveO

Old 03-03-2007, 02:10 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah - ah'm thinkin' battery too. Ah'd dang sure do that AFORE ah attacked the chargin' system, especially iffen the battery is an older one. Ah wouldn't even mess with it - jest git ya a new one an' go fer a run locally until yer sure yer fixed.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:27 AM
fatboylust
Road Captain

I am guessing voltage regulator, once the bike starts the alternator should carry the operational load as long as the battery as some charge to excite the fields. With the voltage regulator out the battery carries the whole load regardless what the alternator is trying to do. At least thats how it went with my 2000 Fatboy several years ago.

Good Luck. hope it is an easy fix,
FBL

Old 03-03-2007, 02:29 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

I agree that it's probably just the battery - especially considering the age of your bike (assuming the stock battery hasn't been replaced yet).

And not to hijack the thread but this is a perfect example of the usefulness of the onboard voltmeter.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:53 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick easy check if you have a volt ohm meter.
1. put battery on a charger to get fully charged. If you have a load tester test it if not...

2. find the wire for stator on the two frame front down tubes.
disconnect it. use a ohm meter across both terminals on stator side.
should read continuity or very close open is BAD
read either terminal to ground on the bike should be open if not very BAD!

3. If both of those readings are good then turn the meter to volts.
connect it across the two terminals for the STATOR.
Start the bike (you charged the battery above right)
increase rpms to approximately (if I remember right don't have book here)
2000. again if I remember right voltage should be about 24 volts or close.

4. if you get reasonably close voltage Stator is probably good.

shut bike off, plug it back together.

To the left front of battery down in the well is a circuit breaker.
Engine off key on read voltage on both terminals
then again when running. running if stator and voltage regulator are working
should be 14 - 15 volts at 3600 rpm or there abouts.
If NO voltage running try another circuit breaker. 40 or 50 amp

If not probably lost the voltage regulator.
I am assuming this is fuel injected and a 45 amp stator.
Let us know what the end result was.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:44 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

Take the battery and have it load tested {auto zone is free}, start there and then go to charging system.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:11 PM
JLHOG
Tourer

If the battery dont fix it take the inspection off the primary cover. If it stinks like (you know what) your stator is toast and needs replacing.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:45 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

A buddy of mine had the same thing going on with his last year just before a ride. Pulled my battery and put in his. Problem solved.

His acted the same way, messed up idle and all. OK after new battery.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 03-03-2007, 09:55 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

simply ,stick your tounge on it .,, like a 9 volt

Quick Reply: Got an Electrical Problem - Need Help