Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the new TWIN COOLED v-twin be driven WITHOUT any coolant in the system ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Can the new TWIN COOLED v-twin be driven WITHOUT any coolant in the system ?

Can the new TWIN COOLED v-twin be driven WITHOUT any coolant in the system ?

May be good info to have - in case of - well you know ...

Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 PM
flhxmc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you need a test subject. I don't know how the pump would like running dry though.

Mike

Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Owners manual says if you loose coolant or bike overheats stop it & don't ride it.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Kugie's HOG
Owners manual says if you loose coolant or bike overheats stop it & don't ride it.

Well that sucks! You would think that you could still ride it air cooled.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:21 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the biggest issue would be without coolant the water pump impeller would be damaged.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you can continue to ride it as in it won't overheat at cruise and the engine will just retard timing like the air-cooled engines do. I wouldn't keep it at the HP peak, though.

The water pump is electric rather than engine-driven, so it's possible that the computer could shut it down during a loss-of-coolant situation. Not that that's common, even in bikes that require coolant.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:55 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

The whole reason i discounted metric cruisers when I decided to leave the super bikes alone was a lack of liquid cooling. Throttle by wire and programmable ECU's I'm comfortable with but I hate motorcycle cooling systems. More maintenance items and possible points of failure. Nothing like being in the middle of nowhere at 4am in the morning looking for a piece of wire so you can jump the fan switch on your gold wing since the temperature activated sensor took a dump.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:10 PM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins
Yes, you can continue to ride it as in it won't overheat at cruise and the engine will just retard timing like the air-cooled engines do.
Not what HD says about the timing.

"You also get better performance in hot conditions as, unlike the air cooled version, the ignition won't retard and start to lose power when both the bike and weather start to heat up."

You can find that same information on several sites about the Twin Cooled Harley engines.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm sure this subject has been thrashed to death in the dedicated Rushmore forum!

Old 09-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Metric water cooled bikes are pretty GD reliable. When was the last time you saw a GoldWing on the side of the road? And since 90% of the parts interchange with a Honda Accord your local Pep Boys will have any sensor you need

Last I heard, when the Rushmore models were having "issues" with the cooling systems, the MoCO said do not ride them and trailer them into the stealership for service.

(to be fair HD uses many commonly available parts on our bikes, and if you know parts you can get most of the sensors, connectors, pressure regulators, fuel line fittings, injectors and stuff from NAPA)

Quick Reply: Can the new TWIN COOLED v-twin be driven WITHOUT any coolant in the system ?