Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being too paranoid about my rear shock purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:00 PM
thug23
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Am I being too paranoid about my rear shock purchase?

So I've spent months reading & reading about rear shocks for my street glide & started out liking Progressive 444 then decided Ohlins were better which then led to Ricors.
But this is my major concern... it seems the general consensus is that the more expensive brands although they provide an enjoyable ride they're a bitch to dial in correctly. In fact I've read numerous owners say that even after months of riding & numerous attempts to adjust them they can't get it right & wish they never bought them....Are they really that difficult to tune? So I guess where I'm at today is although I realize the Ohlins & Ricors are the best should I just play it safe with a pair of Progressives & most likely have an easier time adjusting them or go for it & drop the extra cash for the big boys? And for the record I'm a solo rider @ about 240 lbs.
Thanks for your advise.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:15 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

First I owned Progressive 940 , Ricor , JRi B , Ohlins #3-#3 and Ohlins # 6 . Ricor were the worst by far , not as good as stock , I sent them back twice to be revalved and never could get them to work. Progressive 940 were better than stock and a good improvement. JRi B were better than the Progressive. The Ohlins #3-#3 were better than the JRi B and the Ohlins #6 the best I've used. If it were me I would buy the Ohlins and depending on your budget buy the best that fit it. If you are concerned about adjustments buy the basic Ohlins #2 line , this is still a great shock with no adjustments other than setting your sag. All the Ohlins are custom built to your specs and not a 1 size fits all shock.

Last edited by tj316; 02-08-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:35 PM
thug23
Cruiser

Awesome !!
Thanks for your post it was great to read you've had so much experience with all the top companies.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:37 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I need to purchase some stock in Ohlins…(this is the second such thread I've responded to, today). For every guy that can't dial-in a set of premium shocks, there's a guy who can. I suspect those who have problems are generally more vocal than those who don't. That is, if it works good for him, a lot of guys just ride it on down the road and don't worry about it any more. At least, that's my theory.

Get the Ohlins like tj316 says. If you can't dial them in, you can sell them for enough to cover a set of less expensive HD or Progressive shocks. With money left over. Nothing to fear…but fear itself.

BTW, I have a(nother) set of 3-3s coming this Tuesday. Had them on an earlier bike, and will have them on the '14 now. (I've run Progressive 440s, 940s, HD premium hand-adjustables (all in 12" lengths, which are not as compliant generally as 13" longer-stroke shocks)…and the Ohlins 3-3s are the best riding shocks IMHO, by a fair amount.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 02-08-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:41 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The #2 (S36E) Ohlins are an excellent unit. Give Howard the info he needs and he will get the valving and spring rate dead on. The pre load is up to you. It's not hard but a little time consuming the first time. Check the sag numbers after 500-1000 miles, re-set preload if necessary. Then forget about them. I went 13.25" eye to eye for the 4+" of shock travel (double what my FLHX had stock) and I don't think about my shocks anymore. Been using Ohlins since 1979.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:23 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default My Observation

I find that the people who usually have problems with the better quality products, be it: stereos, kick stands, LED lighting, or complete engine rebuilds are made by members who, just like the downward spiraling education system and reliance on others to do the work from birth for them just do not have the developmental skills it takes to own tools. Many Americans can not read than translating what they just read into correctly following directions. It is never their fault, there is always some else to blame. Quality shocks are dyno'd to make sure they work as designed. I have had instances where I requested the shocks returned for analysis. Mostly there is nothing wrong with them as the shock dyno does not lie. A simple case of some not being qualified to use simple hand tools.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:30 PM
thug23
Cruiser

Thanks for the great info guys..... I'm gonna listen to you & go with Ohlins.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I find that the people who usually have problems with the better quality products, be it: stereos, kick stands, LED lighting, or complete engine rebuilds are made by members who, just like the downward spiraling education system and reliance on others to do the work from birth for them just do not have the developmental skills it takes to own tools. Many Americans can not read than translating what they just read into correctly following directions. It is never their fault, there is always some else to blame. Quality shocks are dyno'd to make sure they work as designed. I have had instances where I requested the shocks returned for analysis. Mostly there is nothing wrong with them as the shock dyno does not lie. A simple case of some not being qualified to use simple hand tools.
Another Wow...

Old 02-08-2015, 07:04 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Another Wow...
Did he really just say that???? WTF!!!

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Did he really just say that???? WTF!!!

2010 Limited with some stuff!!
He said it in another thread too. I have actually met Howard. He talks just like he types. Can't deny the truth of it (he is a suspension genius and I truly believe that) but his delivery leaves MUCH to be desired when dealing with customers. Me and a buddy went to Daytona speedway last year during Bikeweek looking to purchase a new set of shocks for both of our bikes. I ran in to Howard (I already knew who he was from the forum) and would have bought from him that day if it not for the condescending way he talked to my buddy (who is not exactly mechanically inclined). We couldn't get away fast enough. He must have more customers than he can handle because he deals with all the casual shoppers (we call them walk-ins in sales...) with the same manner...Or maybe I caught him on a real bad day...

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 02-08-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Am I being too paranoid about my rear shock purchase?