Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denim Black Latch Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 12:19 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Denim Black Latch Inserts

I have a 2012 Denim Black SG. I'm trying to black out my bike. I'm looking for denim or flat black inserts for the latches on my saddle bags. I have searched, but to no avail.

I have heard people painting the reflectors with plastic paint. I might consider that.

Is there a paint that might stain the reflector flat black but still allow it to work as a reflector? I think I have heard of something like that. Not sure. That would be cool. It would look flat black up close but still reflect when light hits it...

If anyone has any information that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:36 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by murph
I have a 2012 Denim Black SG. I'm trying to black out my bike. I'm looking for denim or flat black inserts for the latches on my saddle bags. I have searched, but to no avail.

I have heard people painting the reflectors with plastic paint. I might consider that.

Is there a paint that might stain the reflector flat black but still allow it to work as a reflector? I think I have heard of something like that. Not sure. That would be cool. It would look flat black up close but still reflect when light hits it...

If anyone has any information that would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

start on this page work your way down you will see plenty of them.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 36 Posts

Anyone know if these latch inserts can go over the reflectors or do the reflectors need to be removed first?

Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Knight
Anyone know if these latch inserts can go over the reflectors or do the reflectors need to be removed first?
Ones ive done you need to take reflector out....I have replace a few and you just heat up latch cover and reflector with a hair dryer and pry up with a putty knife and they come right out.Good Luck.... :-)

Old 09-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

How about Plasti Dip spary. Looks exactly like denim paint. Don't like it...peel it off. Apply it correctly and it lasts for years...and still can peel it off.

One can will only cost you $6-$8 at Lowes/Home Depot/Ace Hdwe...

I believe a light coat of Plasti Dip may allow the reflector to reflect.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...road-king.html

www.dipyourcar.com

Last edited by Pumba11; 09-11-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by riteway
Ones ive done you need to take reflector out....I have replace a few and you just heat up latch cover and reflector with a hair dryer and pry up with a putty knife and they come right out.Good Luck.... :-)
Cool, thanks Riteway.

OP - sorry to hijack

Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM
VegasKen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking to just tint the reflector, VHT brand Nightshades spray paint is what I have used for taillight lenses. I've seen it at Napa and Checker/Kragen/whatever they're calling themselves this week. I want to say I've seen it at Autozone too, but I'm not sure. I used a clear coat every time I've done it, but if I wanted it flat, I'd skip the clear coat.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:23 PM
x1rider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used Duplicolor flat black engine enamel on my taillight, turn signal lenses, and the saddlebag latch reflectors. I'm not sure if the reflectors are still functional but the taillight and turn signals light up very well through the paint.
Here are a few pics.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by x1rider
I've used Duplicolor flat black engine enamel on my taillight, turn signal lenses, and the saddlebag latch reflectors. I'm not sure if the reflectors are still functional but the taillight and turn signals light up very well through the paint.
Here are a few pics.

would you mind explaining your procedure? I'm very interested. Do you remove the reflectors first? if so, how? fishing line? Sorry for the questions, but love you bike. I'm blacking mine out also... Thanks in advanced.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:12 PM
x1rider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the saddlebag latch reflectors I cleaned them with methylhydrate and just masked the surrounding area. I gave a few coats because I didn't mind if they didn't function as reflectors.
For the turn signal and taillight lenses, it was basically an experience so I didn't sand anything, I just cleaned with methylhydrate and gave a very light coat, just to get the plastic black. They work perfectly, they look black and when the lights come on, they shine bright through the light coat of paint. I did this 3 years ago and never had to do a touch up yet.
I used Duplicolor high heat engine enamel paint for both (flat black).

Quick Reply: Denim Black Latch Inserts