Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle 110 heat issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:59 AM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ifinally broke down and spent the big bucks. It has been so hot and humid herein Florida, that I hardly rode my scoot this summer. Most days were wellover 95 degrees, and the humidity......"forget about it!" I read tonsof threads, did a lot of research, talked to engineers, motorcycle builders anddesigners. The verdict from such a large sampling of sources is:

1.Heat is a bi-product of friction and combustion. The only way to dissipate heatin the air cooled engine is air....duh!

2. Increasedheat and friction break down oil and increase engine wear....duh!

3.Finally, the fix.... Upgrade oil cooling to a larger unit, or fan assistedmodel. Change head pipe to a larger diameter, and remove restrictedairflow....catalytic converter. Re-map the fuel management system to a richermixture.

Withthis said, I spent to $2,500 to upgrade to a set of RUSH headers (2 into 1 into2), an Ultra cool reefer fan assisted oil cooler (braided lines), a TTS Mastertune, a larger capacity oil pan, and a rear cylinder fan (about the size of aCD, that mounts just below and in front of the seat..... you can't see it, butit is there). I am already running SYN 3, so I already run a higher temperatureoil.

Theverdict: new headers without the CAT makes a moderate difference. The ultra-coolmakes a difference in stop and go traffic. The larger capacity oil pan makes amoderate difference. The rear cylinder fan makes a moderate difference. Put allof these together, and I am seeing about 50 degree temperature drop. My HPincrease is about 5 hp. Torque is unchanged. Bike is more comfortable to ride,and I no longer panic when I see a traffic jam (I used to pull off the road andhave a beer....no need to suffer). I don't know about those that say you getextra ponies from a lot of engine and exhaust modifications. If Iwanted a bike for racing, I wouldn't have bought a touring bike, I wouldhave bought a crotch rocket. Besides, a whole lot of go needs a whole lot whoa!Was it worth it? On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a solid 7. HD finallylistened to the owners about hot bikes and uncomfortable riders, resulting inthe Milwaukee 8 engine. I don't anticipate a new scoot anytime soon, because I can’tjustify the expense when I only have 7,400 miles on my FLHTCUSE8. Once thefirst adopters of the new Milwaukee 8 engine have been the first testsubjects, and their opinions known, I can keep a new scoot in the back of mymind......for now

Old 09-27-2016, 11:22 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Was the Ultra cool reefer fan assisted oil cooler plug & play, was it a replacement for stock or new install - any reason you picked this one over say the Jaggs?
Would like to see a pic on the oil cooler if you can post one

Old 09-27-2016, 01:42 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

The guy that sold me the ultra cool had installed about 11 himself, and had one on his scoot. It was cheaper than the Jegg by about $90.00. The biggest caution I got was about the oil lines. He suggested the braided lines over the standard lines because the tolerance of the fittings are tighter, and because the lifespan of braided lines are longer. The ultra cool has its own thermostat, so I don't have to worry about turning it on and off. The kit comes with a LED indicator, that lights up when the unit is on. The LEDs are small and unobtrusive. I'm at work now, but when I get back home, I will snap a few photos.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:51 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I also have the '13 CVO Ultra.
I had XT True Dual Rinehart's installed along with a SERT tuner and had it dyno'ed.
I installed the Wards Parts Werks fans.
My bike does use a little more fuel than it did before the above upgrades but it is definitely cooler (to ride). At freeway speeds (70-75 MPH) I usually average 40+/- MPG's.

Before my LED digital dipstick took a "dump", I checked the oil temp frequently and even after freeway speeds in high 80 degree temps, the highest reading that I ever saw was 240 degrees.
I've been told that SYN3 is good for temps up to 300 degrees and my bike has never went into the "parade mode" (EITMS) so it must be running cool enough.

I've determined that my bike does a h**l of a lot better in hot weather and heavy traffic than I do!

On one trip to MS, because of the higher temps I did use Red Line 20w-60w motor oil and IMHO, it seemed to make the engine a little quieter.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:10 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
They're all hot, even with a killer oil cooler and a dyno tune.
That's why HD came up with the liquid cooled rear head.
No truer words have ever been spoken. But especially the 110s.

OP...get a decent header and you automatically lose that damn hot *** cat. Do you realize how hot it has to get to burn up the hydrocarbons your inefficient combustion chambers are producing? If you don't, look it up then you won't forget to get rid of it. Your bike will be a little louder as well, but not too awful much louder.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:47 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

I don't have the 110 but do have a 2016 103 SGS it was cooking the wife's leg , installed a complete stg. 1 and solved my heat issues but I still get oil temp of 250 but it runs and sounds great oh yeah I am using SYN 3 in the engine and AMSOIL in primary and tranny good luck with your heat problems

Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

What's the fan you used under the seat?

Old 09-28-2016, 05:39 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
What's the fan you used under the seat?
This what you talking about?
http://wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html

Old 09-28-2016, 09:55 AM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

The link for the Ultra Cool is:

http://www.ultracoolfl.com/
The Link for the rear cylinder cooling fan is:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...05-26800128--1

Both sites have full photos and product descriptions. The rear cylinder fan is hidden out of the way, and pulls the hot air down toward the ground as opposed to across the heads like some of the flow through models. One complaint I heard about the flow through models is that they blow hot air onto the rider's right thigh. That was the reason for the rear cylinder fan, and because it is a Harley part, I have a 2 year warranty.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:35 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

That's cool that the fan can be installed on the Pre-'17 models. I figured as much, just not listed that way on the website.

Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle 110 heat issues