Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle 110 heat issues

Old 09-15-2013, 01:02 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Screaming Eagle 110 heat issues

Recntly (July) got a 2013 Ultra Classic Electra Glide CVO 110. Nice ride and lots of power at low RPM, but the heat is very uncomfortable. If I don't wear thick long pants and high boots, the heat just makes you want to get off the bike. It is already hot here in Florida, and a 11o is even hotter. What are you guys doing about the heat? New headders are a possibility but also involve removal of several systems (O2 sensors, Catalytic Converter etc) voiding my warranty as well as ECM tune and dyno time. What problems and remedies are you guys trying?
Thanks, D

Old 09-15-2013, 01:10 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

New header pipes will not void your warranty.
You can get them for an exact fit for you bike, including keeping your current O2 sensors.

You will just lose the Cat in that process (which is what is causing most of the heat you feel).

Old 09-15-2013, 01:12 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

get rid of the cheesy plastic air deflectors and get the crotch cooler from Captain Itch here on the forum. Won't get rid of the hot engine, but you won't feel it near as much.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

The 110 is just a hot bastard. I'm running a Jackpot coated headpipe and crossover and a PowerVision tune. It's still hot, though not as hot as it was.

The CVOs are nice-looking bikes. I'm wholly unimpressed with them as actual motorcycles though.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Rusty-flhx
Intermediate

I'll be watching the replies here ! I will be changing my head pipe to a decatted one that's for sure

Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,846 Likes on 21,296 Posts

They're all hot, even with a killer oil cooler and a dyno tune.
That's why HD came up with the liquid cooled rear head.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 2012 Road Glide CVO, did cams, pipes and dyno, and I NEVER have a heat complaint.

If you are all stock, you may want to go for it and -- cool it down while you power it up !

I understand the warranty fear. Just letting you know that the heat is fixable.

I have had warranty work done and my dealer knows I did the extra stuff, but has done the warranty work anyway. Hope you can find a similar situation. Maybe your dealer can do the install of pipes and cams?

Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 PM
bent trix
Tourer

Originally Posted by dwayne.aycock
Recntly (July) got a 2013 Ultra Classic Electra Glide CVO 110. Nice ride and lots of power at low RPM, but the heat is very uncomfortable. If I don't wear thick long pants and high boots, the heat just makes you want to get off the bike. It is already hot here in Florida, and a 11o is even hotter. What are you guys doing about the heat? New headders are a possibility but also involve removal of several systems (O2 sensors, Catalytic Converter etc) voiding my warranty as well as ECM tune and dyno time. What problems and remedies are you guys trying?
Thanks, D
Most reduce heat by removing the cat. Some use heat shields below the riders seat, which you probably have. There are many subjects on this all through the discussion board; search the word "heat" and you'll find an array.

I have found riding with protective gear makes the ride much more "less heated". On hot days, anything over 100, I use the highway pegs to keep distance from the air cooled engine, that seems to help a bit.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:57 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

Here in Florida, a hot day is over 90 degrees and 58% humidity. A cool day is 89 degrees and 58% humidity. We suffer for the 4 months of hell June-September and the beginning of Paradise October-May. By the way...it rains almost every day June through August. If the CAT is the problem.....can I remove it without having to Dyno? We have less strict EPA standards here. Will I have to re-map. I imagine the answer is yes to the Dyno and the re-map but thought I would take a shot.
D

Old 09-15-2013, 06:44 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

My '09 (never had a CAT) has been crazy hot on my right leg since I got it. Tried all kinds of stuff (+2 different dyno tunes). Recently put a Fullsack xpipe on and wrapped it properly. Also ceramic coated my shields and mufflers. Most all the exhaust heat is gone? Can now keep my foot on the right board!!!

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 09-15-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle 110 heat issues