Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 PM
gotwages
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!

Pics below start off with me removing the fairing to see what kind of a mess was actually behind that thing. You can see Harley basically turned behind the speakers into little bass boxes by enclosing it. The next picture shows the three plugs that run through the bars for your hand controls....nine wires, that's all. These all needed to be extended but with 12.5 Wild 1s Chubbies, the throttle cable, brake and clutch lines were all good, no extensions needed. The third picture shows the connections and mounting point for where the navigation system mounts for the 6.5 Infotainment system. The next picture shows how easy it is to access the handlebar clamps once you remove the lower plastic piece and move the fairing (which is also quite easy). The final picture shows what is behind the left side of the display...nothing. So in the future if you want, I am sure you could run a switch into there or turn it into a cubby like the other side.

Attached Thumbnails 14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!-photo-1.jpg   14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!-photo-4.jpg   14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!-photo-3.jpg   14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!-photo-5.jpg   14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!-photo-2.jpg  

Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 PM
gotwages
Tourer

These are the after pictures. It only took about 4 hours, some patience and some solder and it was all done. You can see how the clutch and brake lines were run. There is not an extension kit out yet, that I know of, for the brakes because the mounting point is much different than in previous years. Also you can see how I tucked the clutch cable to run behind the plastic piece. Overall, much easier than my buddies 2013 CVO Ultra (did that this weekend too). I know he has more upgrades but he had 4 times as many wires.

Attached Thumbnails 14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!-photo-2-2-.jpg   14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!-photo-3-2-.jpg   14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!-photo-4-2-.jpg   14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!-photo-5-2-.jpg   14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!-photo-1-.jpg  

Old 09-23-2013, 10:11 PM
gotwages
Tourer

I plan too get some matte black model paint and paint the brake fittings so they do not stand out as much. I would plasti-dip them but I do not want to risk getting overspray on the fairing.

Last edited by gotwages; 09-23-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

You cut and extended the Canbus wires? Were any of them twisted pairs?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:18 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

seems to me the inside of the fairing on the new models are a lot cleaner then 2013 and older. you have half the wires I do in my 2012. and I had to completely remove my inner fairing. did you put poly bushings in? I sure hope you did.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 PM
gotwages
Tourer

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
You cut and extended the Canbus wires? Were any of them twisted pairs?
No, none were twisted pairs like in the throttle. I know you cannot cut and extend those due to the resistance in the wire.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwages
No, none were twisted pairs like in the throttle. I know you cannot cut and extend those due to the resistance in the wire.
Ahh...good call! Those bars look good.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:28 PM
gotwages
Tourer

Originally Posted by mainboom150
seems to me the inside of the fairing on the new models are a lot cleaner then 2013 and older. you have half the wires I do in my 2012. and I had to completely remove my inner fairing. did you put poly bushings in? I sure hope you did.
No I did not, hope I don't regret it but my buddy did 14" Yaffes with no bushings and no problems. Only time will tell I guess.

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Ahh...good call! Those bars look good.
And thank you very much, the bike feels so much better and the riding position is much more comfortable.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 PM
kaktactical
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you able to still use the mirrors in stock location ?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 PM
gotwages
Tourer

Originally Posted by kaktactical
Are you able to still use the mirrors in stock location ?
Kind of, the controls cut off a little less than half. I am planning on putting on new ones eventually but until then, I can see enough through them to be comfortable and feel safe.

Quick Reply: 14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!