Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who changed the rear shock oil on your stock HD air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default For those who changed the rear shock oil on your stock HD air shocks

How satisfied are you with the change? I found a lot of threads where people drained the oil from their OEM rear air shocks and replaced it with a heavier weight oil and noticed some positive improvement. But most of the threads I found are 2010-2012 so I'd like to know if this stood the test of time or if after riding this for a while you decided to upgrade to an aftermarket shock. If the shock oil mod did not satisfy you, why not, and is it worth doing as an interim step for someone who may plan on waiting 12-18 months to pull the trigger on a set of aftermarket shocks?

Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 AM
blackjeep
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I did it and in my opinion helped alot. Im 300lbs and before i had to run air preasure north of 40 to ride properly. Bike sat very high like that. After change to heavier oil i run them around 20 and its much nicer ride and "crisper feed back". Im sure some aftearket shocks are better but im pretty happy with my results. I changed the oul out 1.5 years ago and its a 2010 roadking.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:11 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks, I run about 45 psi in the shocks and I'm considering the mod. It looks pretty easy. Did you use gravity to drain your oil or one of the vacuum tools?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to do this as well. I have 50,000 miles on my 09 UC. How do you do do it? Is it difficult to do?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:50 PM
blackjeep
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Take off. Flip uside down. Pump oil out into measuring cup. Flip right side up. Put same amount of new oil back in while pumping shock to get air out. Took me an hour or so (small hole)

Old 10-19-2013, 03:56 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,251 Likes on 814 Posts

Hugely pleased with the results on my 04 Road King, with the 12" SG shocks.

Realize, these are the same exact shocks as are on Honda Goldwings, a bike rather noted for its plush ride. The rebuilding and tuning of these shocks is well known in the Honda world. It's only in the Harley world are they considered impossible to rebuild or tune.

With the viscosity you can tune the shock action. With the volume you can tune the air spring rate.

I strongly suspect most of the lousy ride complaints are a result of low/no oil left in the shocks. Secondarily by the condition of the oil after years of service.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:57 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I changed the oil in my dads ultra classic and he really likes it. He said he can now feel the shocks working. He weights about 175 and used light weight shock therapy

I used a mighty vac brake pump. I have done the switch on 2 bikes with it so far

Old 10-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Just did mine after 80K miles on my 07 UC feels way better make sure use shocks oil not fork oil. I bought KYB shock oil made in Japan from a Honda dealer its pricey but it doesn't seems heavier then stock oil but it does feel better on rebounding and dampening.Just use a mighty vac and a break bleeder nipple from Harbor freight and a large plastic syringe (fits perfect in the outlet) from any feed store to pump the fluid back very simple and quick

Old 10-19-2013, 05:37 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,251 Likes on 814 Posts

Use the same mightyvac to suck the fluid back in. Way easier than trying to squirt it in.

Fill the cup with the amount of fluid you wish to fill the shock with. Pump up a vacuum in the shock. Hit the vacuum release and watch the fluid get sucked into the shock in a few seconds.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:17 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I have been wanting to do mine ever since I change the fork oil and feeling a huge improvement. I have some left over SE fork oil, can this be used in the shocks? or is there a special shock oil that everyone uses?

Quick Reply: For those who changed the rear shock oil on your stock HD air shocks