Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early cvo valve spring enlightenment fyi

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:55 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Early cvo valve spring enlightenment fyi

I've been chasing a ticking noise in the valvetrain of my bike for about 10k miles. The noise started right after I upgraded my cam plate and 48n cam install. Bear with me, I first had garbage lifters, swapped them out, helped a little. Then my pushrods were rubbing the tubes, changed them to se tapered, big difference. Still a tick when idling. Especially hot. So now it's winter time. Armed with a package of rocker shims, and lots of advice from several forums, I removed my rocker covers. I had some play in all the rockers, but knowing the tick was in the front cylinder, I started there. So before I removed the front lower rocker box, I took a nice long look at things. Wait, these cvo heads don't have beehive Springs! Oh my, the spring caps are hitting the rocker box on the intake side! Suspecting that they weren't properly aligned, I took the bolts loose and installed my alignment pins and still there was contact. I removed the lowers and made some clearance with a carbide burr. All good now!

So my understanding was that 05-06 bikes had beehives, but the cvo bikes do not. Even after a lengthy grinding session, the clearance is pretty slim. My bike is an 06 but the part number on the heads ends in -03.

Just wanted to share for anyone chasing a similar noise...