Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do you warm up the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 PM
gotwages
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How long do you warm up the bike?

So I was reading an article the other day about making sure to give the bike enough time to warm up because it has a warm up time similar to a choke on a carbureated bike. I live one mile from work and the speed limit is 15 then 25 all the way there and the bike acts up when cold. I started making sure to let it run for two minutes and not allowing the EITMS to kick in and it seems to run smoother. The idle can be a little bouncy when cold too. So anyone else have similar problems? How long do you let her warm up before riding away? Oh this is a 2014 SG. Thanks guys.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Usually a couples minutes in 40's. 50's and higher I don't warm it up at all. Just start and go.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:41 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Around a minute.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:48 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Generally at home it's as long as it takes to get my stuff out of the garage, gear on, close garage. Bike is at normal idle by then and I take it easy for a mile or two to get the gear train warmed up. When I'm not at home similarly as long as it takes to casually gear up and then I usually sit and get the tunes flowing and it's usually at normal idle by then.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:53 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Generally at home it's as long as it takes to get my stuff out of the garage, gear on, close garage. Bike is at normal idle by then and I take it easy for a mile or two to get the gear train warmed up. When I'm not at home similarly as long as it takes to casually gear up and then I usually sit and get the tunes flowing and it's usually at normal idle by then.
I do the same.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:04 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I start up bike then zip up coat, put on helmet, gloves and take it easy for the first 10 minutes. I always avoid any hard abuse until Ive ridden about 10 miles.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I fire it up and go. I have a couple miles of gravel to get to a hardtop, by then it's warmed up fine.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I start the bike, push it out of the garage (backwards), close the garage door and pull up to my locked fence. I open the fence gate door and pull the bike out to the alley. After closing the fence gate I ride down the road. It's a total of about two to three minutes.

After doing all that, I figure it should be warmed up enough.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwages
So I was reading an article the other day about making sure to give the bike enough time to warm up because it has a warm up time similar to a choke on a carbureated bike. I live one mile from work
I was always told the oil temp needed to get to 170* in order to burn off the condensation in the engine case. Even on warm days, it would take 10 minutes or so, at speed, to get to that temp (2005 FLHT with oil temp gauge). I always let the bike warm up enough to feel the rocker boxes getting warm...Two or three minutes.

If you are only riding one mile to work, you're probably not burning out the condensation. I can't imagine the oil getting that warm in just the time to ride a mile. That would probably qualify as "Severe Service"...I'd be changing the oil often.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rdam
If you are only riding one mile to work, you're probably not burning out the condensation. I can't imagine the oil getting that warm in just the time to ride a mile. That would probably qualify as "Severe Service"...I'd be changing the oil often.
Agreed. It's only a mile. You may want to try walking.

Quick Reply: How long do you warm up the bike?