Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to move LED lights to Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:56 PM
alandchris
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to move LED lights to Saddlebags

'04 Ultra - currently have all ride time technologies LED lights for front/rear turns, tour packs, brake, front and rear fender tips in all the stock locations, just replacing the current bulbs to all LED's. Have a Badlands module that acts as a load equalizer and run/brake/turn signal function to the tour pack and all rear fender lights. The current LED setup uses the stock type harness in the tail light where the rear brake and rear fender tip uses on plug each that has 3 wires - black/red/blue (assume black is ground, red is brake lights(high intensity) and blue is running lights (low intensity). The harness then has 2 more plugs going to the turn signals - but have 2 wires, black and purple. I assume here that black is ground, but the purple actual carries all three 'signals' from the Badands module for run/brake/turn signal. If my new LED lights which are going to the saddlebags have 3 wires - how would I go from 3 wires on the 'to be purchased LED lights' to 2 wires from the harness. Do I connect black to black and maybe purple to red(high intensity) and cap off the blue wire so it's not used ???? Any lighting guys with advice w/b appreciated. I know that one option is to get the volt meter out to test my wires on the functions it currently does..
thanks for any insight.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:16 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

turn signals should be brown ( not black) and violet, if no ground wire the chassis is ground- which is usual

not quite sure I get the question

if you are adding lights to the saddlebags, access the wiring harness under the seat, there you will find the blk, blue, violet, brown and red w/ yellow stripe ( brake) wiring.

if your new leds have 2 wires, 1 is ground and 1 is hot. and polarity is important.
wiring options should be discussed with badlands so that you don't overload the unit.
some models have run and brake functions in the ACC plug under the seat- this can be another way to access the wiring harness for added lighting

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-24-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:52 AM
alandchris
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike. Thx for the response. The question comes down to this. I'm removing the brake, reader fender tip, and turn signals lights from their stock configuration That were changed already to LED lights. I'm going to put 4 different new led lights cut into the bags. At the current harness on the fender is 5 plugs. 1st is the input plug from under the seat that powers the harness. Output from the harness are the plugs for lights for brake, fender tip, and 2 turn signals. The plugs for the brake and fender tip have 3 wires out of the plug to the light and the plugs to the turn signals have only 2 wires. Bottom line is 2 wires to the turn signals with a new LED that has 3 wires, how to connect. I'll try a call to badlands good idea.