Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ultimate fuel additive to combat ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The ultimate fuel additive to combat ethanol

I had some down time the other day and found myself perusing the go to oil forum on the net. Don't know why, but ended up in the fuel additive section. So there's this guy that is racking up miles using 2 cycle mixing oil in his gas burners fuel tank. He's done many thousands of miles and has actually taken apart a perfectly healthy engine to prove his results. It seems that there is a newer designation for marine mixing oil called "tc-w3" that when used in a conventional four cycle engine, added to the fuel, will remove carbon, clean up ring packs, lubricate the upper cylinders, improve mpg, and safe for catalytic converters. I've run one tank of this through my commuter car and already seen the mpg improve about 5%. Real results are not supposed to be seen until you've run 3 tanks of fuel through. The recommended mix ratio is one ounce per 5 gallons. If I continue to see positive results, I'm going to do this to the bike as well....

Old 01-18-2014, 07:54 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I'm sorry but I must be missing something here. The thread title references "additive to combat ethanol". but the product TC-W3 is 2-stroke oil

Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting...any noticeable smoking when running the mix? Any negatives to running it you've seen so far?

Think I'll give it a try in my gasoline pickup and see what happens.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 AM
nhhdrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with regular premium no need to add anything else.... there are so many additives in today's fuels already.

When storing over 30 days use a stabilizer.

Today's ethanol fuel has a 30 day shelf life before it starts absorbing water which is when then fuel starts to degrade.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:01 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i've been putting a shot of 2 cycle oil in my shovel's gas tank for years. it helps lube the valves.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:18 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guitardude
Interesting...any noticeable smoking when running the mix? Any negatives to running it you've seen so far?

Think I'll give it a try in my gasoline pickup and see what happens.
No smoking or odor at the recommended mix ratio.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by nhhdrider
Stick with regular premium no need to add anything else.... there are so many additives in today's fuels already.

When storing over 30 days use a stabilizer.

Today's ethanol fuel has a 30 day shelf life before it starts absorbing water which is when then fuel starts to degrade.
Ethanol blended fuel is garbage when it's fresh. Our bikes were not intended to burn ethanol.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by aviscomi
I'm sorry but I must be missing something here. The thread title references "additive to combat ethanol". but the product TC-W3 is 2-stroke oil
Yes you are "missing something" 2 stroke oil in four stroke engines helps to combat and even reverse the detrimental effects of ethanol fuel.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:28 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

I wouldn't care on the bike, but my cage gets an average of 28 mpg. First tank of mixed fuel netted me 29.6 mpg. There are over 50 pages of discussion on a gto forum that not only explains how and why it works, but includes user submitted data and results as well.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:31 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
Yes you are "missing something" 2 stroke oil in four stroke engines helps to combat and even reverse the detrimental effects of ethanol fuel.
My bad...thanks for the clarification. The main issue with ethanol and 2-stroke engines is that the ethanol doesn't mix with the 2-stroke oil.

Quick Reply: The ultimate fuel additive to combat ethanol