Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis Rally lodging

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:19 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sturgis Rally lodging

My son and I are planning to go to the 2015 75th Anniversary Sturgis Rally. (first time for him) The last time I was there (32yrs ago, you could still get a room in Rapid City at regular rates. ) I'm looking for advice/recommendations on where to stay and how far in advance did you make your reservations. We have yet to decide on weather to go a few days early and stay over a only a few days into the rally or go totally during the rally. Since I've been there before I would just as soon go early and get in some good riding without the huge crowds that will clog everything up once the rally starts and only experience the big crowds for a couple of days. We would like to be no farther than 20 to25 mi. from Sturgis. Word of mouth is always the best way to find the best places to stay and not rely on advertising.Thanks.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:48 PM
Jeepin79
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We stayed in hill city this past year and loved it. A little ways from Sturgis but it was a nice ride to get into Sturgis and pretty central to some good riding. We rented a house but there was 5 of us.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Jarhead_88
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J_ULTRA
My son and I are planning to go to the 2015 75th Anniversary Sturgis Rally. (first time for him) The last time I was there (32yrs ago, you could still get a room in Rapid City at regular rates. ) I'm looking for advice/recommendations on where to stay and how far in advance did you make your reservations. We have yet to decide on weather to go a few days early and stay over a only a few days into the rally or go totally during the rally. Since I've been there before I would just as soon go early and get in some good riding without the huge crowds that will clog everything up once the rally starts and only experience the big crowds for a couple of days. We would like to be no farther than 20 to25 mi. from Sturgis. Word of mouth is always the best way to find the best places to stay and not rely on advertising.Thanks.
Wow. Never been to Sturgis and have no recommendation, but I just think that it is so cool that you and your son are going on the trip together. I hope you have a blast. Congrats on the trip. Be safe.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last 2 years I booked in March for the rally in August. Payed 200 a night for the sleep inn in Rapid City. Newer, clean well maintained hotel. My wife and I rode up a day early last year and got a room the night before our reservations. However, we had to pay 275.00 for that night.

My wife and I are going to try our hand at camping this year. Still looking at places that have electric for a tent spot.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Duplicate

Old 02-14-2014, 07:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Lodging?! I thought everyone slept under the stars in a happy haze......

Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 AM
mikemnkt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stay at the buffalo chip.if you get your tickets early like in feb they are only 200 each and include tent camping and all the concerts.well worth it.and for a little more you can get power and water.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

wife and have stayed in rapid city, sturgis and spearfish. All 3 locations have their advantages / disadvantages. If you plan to ride during the day and party at night, then Sturgis probably offers more party opportunities.
We stay at the holiday inn express there. Can get a shuttle downtown and back but only from certain locations. they wont pick you up just anywhere. I don't ask how much it costs cuz i don't want to know, lol. It is what it is.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:19 AM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

We've been there early,late,and for the entire rally. We like to get there for the last 2-3 days of rally and stay a few days after it ends. All the places we've stayed at are higher during rally and go back to regular rates after rally is over. We used to stay in rapid city but last year we stayed at a lodge "Palmer Gulch " it's located between Hill City and Keystone.they have cabins,camping,and rooms. We stayed at the lodge. Seems like the rooms were $180.00 a night during the rally. Pretty central located for doing all the nice day rides. We make our reservations in January,so I would highly suggest you make yours real soon. Also should you stay there tell them you want a room with a balcony don't cost anymore but the balcony is nice.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:13 AM
PackersShirt
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Smile You'll love the week before!

My dad and I went a week early in 2000 like what you are describing. You'd never know it was early other than it's less crowded. It's already hopping. For a dad-son trip, I highly recommend it.

We've stayed in Rapid City 3 times, twice at a little mom and pop motel I now can't find online (I'll keep looking and I sent my dad an email). The last year when we called, they were full, so the owners let us stay in the upstairs of their house, which was onsite. Staying in Rapid City was cool given we weren't into the Sturgis night life on those trips. It isn't as crowded as Sturgis but you're clearly still "at the rally". If you're into the Sturgis night life, that ~30 mile ride back to your bunk in RC would be long at 12 a.m. after a day of riding, even if you aren't boozing. Call me a wimp!

Another year I stayed with a buddy at the Chip. If you want the Discovery Channel Sturgis experience, that's it.

Quick Reply: Sturgis Rally lodging