Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running these LED passing lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:10 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone running these LED passing lamps?

http://www.socalmotogear.com/product-p/hdled.htm The color temperature is 6000K so they should be bright white and more closely match the Harley LED headlamp I am now running. My Halogen passing lamps look yellow compared to the LED headlight. I am wondering if they are as bright as the factory halogen passing lamps. They are 450 Lumens each. I am not sure what the factory halogen light output is in Lumens. These would be a lot less expensive then either the Harley or Truck-lite LED passing lamps.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:25 PM
jim518
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a similar set off of ebay and would be happy with them but its really humid here and the lenses fogs up a bit after awhile. may try purging the lights with a inert gas to get any moister out of the light casing.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:25 PM
CarrollB
Tourer

Strange they fog up with the LEDs and not the regular lamps. I found the 881 bulbs put out 5oo+ lumens and LEDs put out 450. I may still buy a set since they are only about $50. I have a $4K light meter at work and if I buy the LED's I will measure them compared to the stock 881 lamp for output.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:05 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered a set thanks for link.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 PM
oricko
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you happy with these bulbs? Has anyone else tried these yet and if so what is your opinion?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 AM
oricko
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

no one?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:46 AM
CarrollB
Tourer

I installed these lamps last week. I blocked the light from the headlamp and left passing lamp and measured the output of the right passing lamp with a light meter I borrowed from work. I did the measurement in a semi-dark garage with measurements taken at a distance of three feet from the lamp. I moved the meter around to get the highest reading on the light output (lumens). The stock halogen lamp measured (if memory serves me as I am at work), about 3000K for color temperature and 721 lumens. My Harley brand LED headlight measures 6000K for color temperature, a nice bright white. The stock passing lamps looked very yellow compared to the LED headlight. The LED passing lamps have four LEDs one on each side of the lamp and one LED in the end pointing forward. The one in the end has a small lens over it. Measuring the new LED passing lamp I get a color temperature of 5800K so it closely matches the color of the Harley LED headlight. I cannot perceive a color temperature difference between the two with the naked eye( 6000K vs 5800K). The output of the LED passing lamp was about 500 lumens so this lamp is not as bright as the stock lamps. I believe the mfg said the output was 450 lumens. What I observed is that since the passing lamps are still using the stock reflector it seemed that the passing lamps still showed up well when looking at the front of the bike from maybe 30° off axis. A concern I had about the LED lamps from Harley or truck-lite were cages not being able to see the passing laps unless I was coming straight at them. This I think was due to the lens in front of the LED’s on the other brands as they do not use the stock reflectors. Even though the new LED passing lamps put out less lumens over the stock halogen lamp, they appear brighter I suppose because of the color temperature. Because of having surgery a month ago I am still on restriction for another couple of days before I can ride. I want to see how the new LED passing lamps light up a dark country road. Socal shipped the lamps to me in about 3 days after placing the order. At this point I would have to say it was a good mod but I still need to see how they look on a dark road. Next I plan to mod the wiring so the passing lamps stay on with the high beam.