Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter Change, and It Needed It!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 PM
OldFordTrk1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Change, and It Needed It!

Been reading some threads about fuel filter changes. Needless to say I haven't exactly changed my fuel filter per the manual. At 47k miles I figured it might be time so I changed it out. Boy was I surprised at how nasty it was! The new one was white, this one...well a picture is worth a thousand words.

Fuel Filter Change, and It Needed It!-photo-2.jpg

I guess the good news was I didn't have a problem and got it changed in about 15 minutes with no trouble. Now I need to plan for that fork oil change.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:30 PM
UltraDuff
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

So, how exactly did you change it?
I've got 53,000 miles on mine and it probably wouldn't hurt to change it.

BTW, gorgeous bike...of course, I'm sort of biased. I have the same year/model/color.

Duff

Old 02-22-2014, 09:33 PM
CGP93
Tourer
Location: Orig Surfers Paradise Australia, then Riyadh Saudi Arabia, Tokyo, Toronto, now So Cal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work! Sure looks like it did it's job over the past 47,000 miles

Old 02-23-2014, 08:07 AM
OldFordTrk1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraDuff
So, how exactly did you change it?
I've got 53,000 miles on mine and it probably wouldn't hurt to change it.

BTW, gorgeous bike...of course, I'm sort of biased. I have the same year/model/color.

Duff

1. take the fuel cap out
2. unbolt the two bolts holding the tank bib on.
3. Slowly lift the bib off the tank. cables and stuff under there.
4. Unplug the wires and vent hose off the unit and lay the bib aside
5. I used a wooden handle on a hammer and tapped the clamp ring counterclockwise until you could lift the fuel unit up out of the tank.
6. There is a U shaped pin that holds the white plastic housing together. Push down on the lock and pull the U shaped pin out with pliers. You will need to monkey with it. It is holding the filter housing together.
7. I used a right angle pick to pull the old filter out then put in the new one and a new o-ring (they come in a kit).
8. Now the hard part...you have to slightly compress the oring by pushing the filter housing tightly together and reinsert the U shaped pin. Now, all of this is happening over the top opening of the tank. I didn't pull everything all the way out, just enough where I could reach it...so don't drop the U shaped pin down inside the tank! I guess I was lucky, maybe I need to buy a lotto ticket or something.
9. with the U shaped pin in place re-assemble in reverse order.

The funny thing is, I have a manual but never once looked at it. Kinda takes all the fun out of it.

Last edited by OldFordTrk1; 02-23-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 AM
doc ock
Road Master

While your in there the tubing should be replace.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:10 AM
CGP93
Tourer
Location: Orig Surfers Paradise Australia, then Riyadh Saudi Arabia, Tokyo, Toronto, now So Cal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldFordTrk1
1. take the fuel cap out
2. unbolt the two bolts holding the tank bib on.
3. Slowly lift the bib off the tank. cables and stuff under there.
4. Unplug the wires and vent hose off the unit and lay the bib aside
5. I used a wooden handle on a hammer and tapped the clamp ring counterclockwise until you could lift the fuel unit up out of the tank.
6. There is a U shaped pin that holds the white plastic housing together. Push down on the lock and pull the U shaped pin out with pliers. You will need to monkey with it. It is holding the filter housing together.
7. I used a right angle pick to pull the old filter out then put in the new one and a new o-ring (they come in a kit).
8. Now the hard part...you have to slightly compress the oring by pushing the filter housing tightly together and reinsert the U shaped pin. Now, all of this is happening over the top opening of the tank. I didn't pull everything all the way out, just enough where I could reach it...so don't drop the U shaped pin down inside the tank! I guess I was lucky, maybe I need to buy a lotto ticket or something.
9. with the U shaped pin in place re-assemble in reverse order.

The funny thing is, I have a manual but never once looked at it. Kinda takes all the fun out of it.
Lol, that's excellent work, I guarantee you that I would be the guy trying to "fish" the U Pin out of my fuel tank!! - good job!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:27 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Been reading some threads about fuel filter changes. Needless to say I haven't exactly changed my fuel filter per the manual. At 47k miles I figured it might be time so I changed it out. Boy was I surprised at how nasty it was! The new one was white, this one...well a picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachment 359960

I guess the good news was I didn't have a problem and got it changed in about 15 minutes with no trouble. Now I need to plan for that fork oil change.
I changed the fork oil at 16k since i had the Nachelle off while I'm installing a diff set of apes and there was swirling in the gray colored oil that came out. the cheesy phillips head screws that come with the bike are installed with permanent thread lock and i had to vise grip them off. I made my own allen head bolts reusing the brass washers sealing them with blue locktiite this time. I've had my speedo cover off and it looks pretty simple on my RK but it looks trickier on a fairing bike. I need to get to the float so I can wire the float in the full position (got rid of the useless fuel gauge put a matching gascap in it's place) so a new filter will be next on my list.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:47 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Attachment 359960

Holy crap that is dirty.

lp

Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

the really crazy part is that hd has extended the fuel filter change interval to 100k. the filter part number hasn't changed though.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 PM
littled62
Tourer

there are some great videos on youtube with step by step instructions on changing a fuel filter

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Change, and It Needed It!