Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Brake Pad Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Kokes58
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Brake Pad Recommendation

Need to replace the rear pads on my 09 Ultra. What is the best brake pad you would recommend and where is the best place to buy them? I appreciate the help.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kokes58
Need to replace the rear pads on my 09 Ultra. What is the best brake pad you would recommend and where is the best place to buy them? I appreciate the help.
I have bought the factory pads and gotten the ebay pads at 1/3 the cost and haven't seen any difference in braking or rotor wear.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Organic/Kevlar pads - easier on rotors, cheaper cost, wear faster, but usually slightly longer braking distances and less linear response

Metallic/Sintered - metal powder compressed into a solid, better quality metallic pads will contain lots of copper, better heat resistance, best braking performance, longer pad life but increased rotor wear although it is impossible to wear out the rotors on a motorcycle during it's lifetime, with the exception of warping from excessive heat from over use, consistent from wet to dry performance but more expensive.

Good brake pads have a consistent feel when braking - more lever pressure generates a corresponding increase in braking force making braking modulation easier for the rider and producing quicker stopping distances. Cheap pads are suddenly grabby at high application levels and easier to lock your front wheel with. Pads that are grabby will produce longer stopping distances with a practiced rider because they will be more cautious in heavy brake application with them. Any pad will apply enough force to lock a wheel. Race pads are bad for street use because they are designed to operate at high temperatures and require pre heating to work effectively. Good if you are braking hard constantly but not so good for street riding for the same reason. They need to be hot to work properly.

Chances are your OEM pads are lower quality sintered/metalic pads. I would avoid, cheap organic/kevlar pads.

I've had good experience with the EBC Extreme Performance series pads.

Last edited by fat_tony; 04-05-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Lyndall.

Forget saving money on brakes.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Lot of folks swear by Lyndall Z-Plus:

http://www.lyndallbrakes.com/cart/index.php?p=cart

Rax

Old 04-04-2014, 08:33 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

+2 Lyndall. Have had them on every Harley I've owned.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I replaced my OEM pads at 30K and there was at least 50% of the meat left on them. Changed anyway to Lyndall Z+ purchased from forum sponsor Hogpro. Good price, quick delivery. The Lyndalls vibrated initially and that has now subsided. These seem to be a bit cleaner than OEM.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I like ecb organic on the rear. They have better low speed/heat feel and don't wear the rotors. Most of your braking is done in front where more high performance pads are useful, but really most folks seldom come close to stock braking limits.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:29 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Lyndall.

Forget saving money on brakes.
I second that!

Old 04-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I like ecb organic on the rear. They have better low speed/heat feel and don't wear the rotors. Most of your braking is done in front where more high performance pads are useful, but really most folks seldom come close to stock braking limits.
True, most of times. But if something unexpected happens right in front of you even only 5% better brakes may save your life.
I repeat, brakes (and tires) are not where you save your money.

Quick Reply: Need Brake Pad Recommendation