Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Küryakyn Fuel Door GPS/Accessory Mount #1691

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:00 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Küryakyn Fuel Door GPS/Accessory Mount #1691

I have a question for anyone that has the Küryakyn Fuel Door GPS/Accessory Mount #1691: if you don't always need the GPS mount, can you remove the thumb-screw and then remove the mount? Don't really need the mount when riding locally.

Looked through the installation instructions and watched a couple of their videos but don't see any reference to whether it can be removed when not needed. Logically, it seems like it would so you can easily remove the GPS when stopped for lunch or overnight.

Attached Thumbnails -fuel-door-gps-mount.jpg  

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 04-14-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:06 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I use this one. May not work on Faring bikes. Didn't see the Kuryakyn mount. Looks permanent

Amazon.com: Arkon GN032 Garmin nüvi Bicycle and Motorcycle Mount -Black: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Arkon GN032 Garmin nüvi Bicycle and Motorcycle Mount -Black: GPS & Navigation

Garmin snaps in.
Run the wire in the Windshield bag and out to the handlebar mounted 12Volt Assy

Dump the whole shebang in the bag when I arrive or don't need it. no one has ever gone though my windshield bag. If I get paranoid I lock it in a bag

Last edited by TenMidgets; 04-14-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:10 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

I emailed Küryakyn regarding their Fuel Door GPS/Accessory Mount #169 and got a reply back. Yes, the thumb-screw and mount can be removed.

I'd assure appreciate if someone could post a couple of pictures of it installed on their bike (or a link to somewhere posted on the Internet) with the thumb-screw and mount removed so I can see what's left. With the Bat-Wing, I'm thinking that the fuel door mount be the best and easiest to do.

Thank you.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I emailed Küryakyn regarding their Fuel Door GPS/Accessory Mount #169 and got a reply back. Yes, the thumb-screw and mount can be removed.

I'd assure appreciate if someone could post a couple of pictures of it installed on their bike (or a link to somewhere posted on the Internet) with the thumb-screw and mount removed so I can see what's left. With the Bat-Wing, I'm thinking that the fuel door mount be the best and easiest to do.

Thank you.
It's low down and well below your eye-line IMHO. I have mine mounted on the right bar, where it is easier to take a look at. In addition Mrs B can see it clearly, over my shoulder, so we can navigate together, over the intercom! So if Mrs U rides along, put it where she can see it too.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:50 PM
robo74
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the other tech mounts they make, like here:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/423...nd-gps-devices

I use the one that mounts on the fairing using the existing bolt from the windshield.
I use it for my phone as its my GPS, Music, and because my job requires 24/7, I can see who is calling and decide if I want to stop and call them back. Doesnt take much to glance over and wont fully pull my eyes off the road.

They also make various mounts for GPS, Etc.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Way out of your eyesight just saying, this is what I use a Ram Mount mirror mount, easy to see. Another thing that I like is when I'm not using the GPS the mounting point is not really noticeable.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by robo74
Take a look at the other tech mounts they make, like here:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/423...nd-gps-devices

I use the one that mounts on the fairing using the existing bolt from the windshield.
I use it for my phone as its my GPS, Music, and because my job requires 24/7, I can see who is calling and decide if I want to stop and call them back. Doesnt take much to glance over and wont fully pull my eyes off the road.

They also make various mounts for GPS, Etc.
Checked out your link, and I see that the mount is available for either right or left side. Only shown with a phone, and I'm thinking a little bigger in overall size with a GPS. Which are you using and if it's a GPS, can you post a picture or two?

Also, when you say you used an existing bolt from the windshield to mount it, could you clarify that for me?

Thank you.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 PM
robo74
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
Checked out your link, and I see that the mount is available for either right or left side. Only shown with a phone, and I'm thinking a little bigger in overall size with a GPS. Which are you using and if it's a GPS, can you post a picture or two?

Also, when you say you used an existing bolt from the windshield to mount it, could you clarify that for me?

Thank you.
I use the cell phone one, but I am pretty sure I seen one that had the universal mount for other stuff like gps or specific phone mounts, etc.

My fairing mounted mounts on the fairing using one of the bolts that holds the windshield in.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I got my gps mount from eglidegoodies, they have a wide range to chose from, to suit most tastes!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EricD10563
Way out of your eyesight just saying, this is what I use a Ram Mount mirror mount, easy to see. Another thing that I like is when I'm not using the GPS the mounting point is not really noticeable.
Excellent shot Eric, although you're on the wrong side of the road!

Mrs B would like your gps turned a little to the left, to improve her view of it, but it's a great location.

Quick Reply: Küryakyn Fuel Door GPS/Accessory Mount #1691