Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo 660 and HD Bomm

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 PM
ThisIsMe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Zumo 660 and HD Bomm

Saved the pennies and finally took the plunge after many years of refusing to. Bought the Road Tech Zumo 660. Did it for the integration in the the Ultra.

Got the dash mount and the "Boom Audio NIM kit" (Part Number 76000024A) and along with the well reviewed HDBomm. All of it sitting here on the table and confusion is setting in. Pretty good at electronics , but figured I would ask someone here that has gone through the process. Seeing that I have the HDBomm, do I need the HD NIM Kit?

On the HDBomm.com site it appears that I use the cable kit that came with the Road Tech Zumo 660. In other appearances it seems that I need the extra Boom Audion NIM kit.

Anyone cabled up such willing to advise a fellow before I open her up?

Thanks

Old 04-17-2014, 04:21 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

I already had the mount and nim on my bike and installed the HD bomm last year. I purchased it direct from the HD Bomm website and had an issue with the sound so I sent an email to James. I received a reply that day and we ended up working it out over the phone he was very helpful. If you are not sure try sending him an email with your concerns. He does have the video you can watch. Great product, good luck with the install.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYE-wWzIS4Y

Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know what your concerns are so I can not give you a direct answer but this may help. You can always call me.

jim@hdbomm.com

CustomMotorcycle Cableswww.hdbomm.com

Navigation Interface Module (NIM), What it Does & How to Connect it.

The following is just part of the above file which you can download from the web site. The entire file has pictures.

The NIM lets you hear Turn Prompts ONLY from the GPS no matter what function the radio is in. Say you are running down the road and you are using the GPS to navigate to a place. You can listen to any function of the radio (say an FM station) and when a turn prompt comes along the NIM will tell the radio to interrupt the FM station. It then allows the radio to pass the turn prompt so that you can hear it. The NIM will then release the radio back to playing the FM station. This is all the NIM does, it does not tell the radio to do any thing for a phone call or to play MP3 songs that you load into the GPS. If the modelof GPS that you have has other features such as MP3, traffic/weather alerts and XM radio the NIM will not pass these audio signals either. To hear a phone call, weather/traffic alerts or listen to MP3 songs or the XM radio from theGPS you must use the AUX input on the radio. Also the radio must be in the AUX mode to hear these outputs. If your NIM was factory installed you will need to split the GPS’s audio output. Even if your dealer installed it they may not have installed it correctly. If you do not see a jack plugged into your Auxiliary Input on the front of the radio then the audio output is not split.

Thereis no AUX input on the back of the radio. You have to modify the radio and add one. Directions for this can be downloaded here. www.hdbomm.com

Now in order to make and take a phone call while riding you need the HD-Bomm, which is a helmet microphone interface. The GPS has a built in microphone (if you have a 660 or 665) on the front face of the GPS, right hand side in the middle of the black plastic you will see a small square hole, this is the microphone.This microphone will work just fine if you are not moving but as soon as you get above 5 miles an hour the microphone will start picking up wind and road noise and that is all the person you are speaking with will hear. (The model 550 GPS does not have a built in microphone). What the HD-Bomm does is it interfaces your helmet microphone to the External Microphone Input of the GPS (all Zumo’s and Road Tech GPS have the external Microphone Input) and allows you to use your helmet headset when making phone calls. That way you can speak with some one at 70 miles an hour and they will be able to hear and understand you.Without the HD-Bomm, no phone calls above 5 miles an hour. Remember the radio must be in the AUX mode to hear the caller.

If you want to listen to that FM station but you also want to be able to tell if you have a call coming in, then you have to put your cell phone on vibrate.When the phone vibrates you switch to AUX, tell the GPS to answer the call and talk away, no buttons to push it is hands free after telling the GPS to answer the call. A phone call screen will also pop up on the GPS.

If the radio is in the AUX mode then the NIM becomes redundant since all audio from the GPS will be coming through the AUX input. If the radio is in the AUX mode you will hear all turn prompts, phone calls, weather and traffic alerts and be able to listen to MP3 songs or XM radio. The GPS will control everything and stop playing any audio output from the GPS for a turn prompt then return to playing what you were listening too.

Hope this helps you out a little. If you have other questions or you are still confused on a point you can always just give me a call and I will try to help you out.

Do not feel bad about your dealer if they are confused, there are not very many dealers out there that know how these systems work together.

Last edited by bissjim; 04-17-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 AM
ThisIsMe
Tourer

Thanks Ultra.
One of the reasons I purchased the HDBomm was not only for the nice reviews, the support that I witnessed James provided. I will probably email him. I would try to figure it out myself but that would require me to bust open the NIM kit, which I might need to return.

I did watch the video a couple of times, but James referenced a USB port which is contained on the Zumo harness not the NIM. I will try to look at it again this morning with a fresher mind. If not I am sure an email to James will set me straight.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:36 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Smile

Originally Posted by ThisIsMe
Thanks Ultra.
One of the reasons I purchased the HDBomm was not only for the nice reviews, the support that I witnessed James provided. I will probably email him. I would try to figure it out myself but that would require me to bust open the NIM kit, which I might need to return.

I did watch the video a couple of times, but James referenced a USB port which is contained on the Zumo harness not the NIM. I will try to look at it again this morning with a fresher mind. If not I am sure an email to James will set me straight.
You have a 660, which does have a USB port on the wiring harness. You will not use this port because the USB port is only used with the 665. The USB port is where you plug in the XM radio puck which comes with the 665 but does not come with or work with the 660.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:40 AM
ThisIsMe
Tourer

Thanks James,
That makes sense to me now. Like I said I did not dive into it that deep last night. I will today and sure it will be trouble free. I just wanted to be sure that I needed the NIM before I ripped it open.

BTW I plan on putting the AUX port out back of the radio. With your directions, can I just cut a trace rather than remove the surface mount device? I am assuming that you are removing the device as the PCB is multi-layered??? Easier to repair a trace, is my thinking.

Thanks again!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:12 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Smile

Originally Posted by ThisIsMe
Thanks James,
That makes sense to me now. Like I said I did not dive into it that deep last night. I will today and sure it will be trouble free. I just wanted to be sure that I needed the NIM before I ripped it open.

BTW I plan on putting the AUX port out back of the radio. With your directions, can I just cut a trace rather than remove the surface mount device? I am assuming that you are removing the device as the PCB is multi-layered??? Easier to repair a trace, is my thinking.

Thanks again!
Yes you can cut a trace if you like. Email me and I will send you a picture of the trace you will need to cut. You are correct in that the board is multi layered and if you cut to deep you can damage the radio.

jim@hdbomm.com

Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 PM
ThisIsMe
Tourer

No worries Jim. Thanks for the assistance. Step one, I got the radio plug in the back. Hopefully get to the rest this week.

Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 PM
ThisIsMe
Tourer

Jim,
Thanks for the help and a great product. Bike all buttoned up with the HdBomm along with the new GPS. Works great and trouble free so far.

Thanks again!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 PM
10'RK
Stage II

HD-Bomm, Harley cell phone Interface

I have a 2013 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited. I bought and had HD install the Roadtech Zumo665 GPS for all the features it is purported to do. After replacing the heated hand grips on myLimited I was amazed to see the mic on the Zumo was never hooked up to thebike. Now I knew why, on a phone call, noone could ever hear me while the bike was in motion, no in- put to the mic.

I called HD and was told they don’t hook up the mic for the GSPunits, I guess for liability reasons. SoI went on a mission to find out how I could get my bike rigged so I can make orreceive phone calls.

I found several alternatives and the HD-Bomm was what I settledon. The price was right, $108.00 aftertaxes and shipping. Timely delivery orderedon a Thursday 4/18 and received it that Monday 4/20 and ease ofinstallation. The instructions provided withthe device were excellent and the YouTube Video was invaluable. I, with little to know mechanical experience,was able to install and put the bike back together in less than 30mins. With the bike all buttoned up I went for atest drive and dialed a friend. I was astonishedand amazed at how wonderfully it worked. It’s allowed me to use my Zumo for all the features I purchased itfor. Great Product!

Quick Reply: Zumo 660 and HD Bomm