Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:58 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,506 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Once you go above the Road King you loose the ability to remove the windshield (if that's something you prefer).
The RK will give you better MPG's and will run freeway speeds just as well as any of the "touring" bikes but if you're looking for LOTS of storage, or a sound system, a true touring bike is what you're looking for.

The RK saddlebags provide enough storage for local riding but for trips you would need additional bag(s) or perhaps even a tour pack.

FWIW, don't rule out a Heritage until you have taken a test ride.
Detachable windshield and it looks cool and it's lower to the ground than a RK.
The leather bags are beautiful (I think) but they don't hold as much as the hard bags on a RK.

I personally thing the Heritage handles much better than the RK, but the RK rides like a touring model.

I've "toured" many miles on cruisers (Heritages/Road Kings) so it's a matter or what you want.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:49 AM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow thanks for the replies. It seems if I took a poll the Ultra would win hands down. How is breaking power compared to per say a Sportster or Dyna? I love ABS on the cage but never considered it on a motorcycle but I do now.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 AM
nuages
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Street Glide with ABS/Premium ride 13" shocks ,then add what you want.
Mine is now fully loaded but can be stripped down for just the rider andno Tour Pak

Old 04-24-2014, 06:53 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Wow thanks for the replies. It seems if I took a poll the Ultra would win hands down. How is breaking power compared to per say a Sportster or Dyna? I love ABS on the cage but never considered it on a motorcycle but I do now.
Only because you've already said you don't want a Street Glide! If you took a poll and didn't eliminate the SG, the Ultra may still win...but I bet you'd get more reviews from us SG owners. So having said that, I'll offer my advice even though you've eliminated the SG. Get the SG!!!!! As others have said, all these touring bikes are virtually the same. But you must sit on them and ride them all and make your own decision. I am in the same situation as you--I had a Deluxe and it was fine, I don't "tour"...most of my riding is on the weekends, my wife rides 2-3 times a year, I don't ride to work because I wear a suit and don't feel like changing shoes------the Street Glide fit my needs and I was still able to have something to just ride around town on a sunday afternoon. I added a razor pak because it's all the storage I need---one day, I'll get an Ultra and have that massive storage, but I don't need that. Yes, there are SG(s) everywhere. When I ride to work, mine is 1 of about 9 in parking lot. But mine doesn't look like theirs. Mine is ember red sunglow and all of theirs are black and one Sedona Orange. Mine is personalized to my liking and therefore it stands out. In my group of guys I ride with---the only red one. Again---one day, I'm getting the Ultra, but no time soon. I don't have a need for it like those guys who tour alot with their spouses.

BTW---I took a "tour" from Fayetteville, NC to the Blue Ridge Parkway and back last summer--SG felt fine to me. I'm "touring" next month from Fayetteville to Canada---I'll give my reviews later

Old 04-24-2014, 06:58 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
FWIW, don't rule out a Heritage until you have taken a test ride.
Detachable windshield and it looks cool and it's lower to the ground than a RK.
<<<<<<<
I personally thing the Heritage handles much better than the RK, but the RK rides like a touring model.
The Heritage definitely looks cool and it IS lower to the ground, which is precisely why it handles much WORSE than a RK. In the Heritage, the MoCo traded off lean angles to get that cool low-slung look. The Heritage has VERY restrictive lean angles and doesn't handle well at all in the twisties. This is not just my opinion--the MoCo puts lean angles for each model on its website. There is an 7-8 degree lean difference between the RK and the Heritage. That's alot.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:28 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
The Heritage definitely looks cool and it IS lower to the ground, which is precisely why it handles much WORSE than a RK. In the Heritage, the MoCo traded off lean angles to get that cool low-slung look. The Heritage has VERY restrictive lean angles and doesn't handle well at all in the twisties. This is not just my opinion--the MoCo puts lean angles for each model on its website. There is an 7-8 degree lean difference between the RK and the Heritage. That's alot.
I agree with you totally!!!!!! Even though I didn't have a Heritage...I had a Deluxe, it looked cool but I tore the bottoms of those floor boards up with even the smallest curves. And look at the tires that come on them both---not meant for handling curves. I was amazed at how much a touring bikes leans----I, seriously, feel like I can throw my SG into a curve like I used to with my sport bikes....not so with the lower softails.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Boale
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Road King! I bought a quick detach Dead Center Fairing with a SAT Radio and HD Hard Vented Lowers with quick detach hardware. I can go from Touring to around town cruiser in under a minute. Best of both worlds :-)

Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a RKC and an Ultra. I like both, but the RK is my default selection currently, unless the wife is with me, then it's the Ultra.

I like the Ultra but it feels less like a motorcycle than the RK. The fairing is also noticeably heavy on the handlebars but its easy to get accustomed to.

If I had to pick 1, I would pick the RK, because I could take of the shield, or get a fairing and tour pak.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

under 50 street glide...over 50 ultra.LOL I am 67 and bought an SGS.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since your not doing 2-up, I would look for a Road Glide Custom - hopefully in August it will return

Quick Reply: Touring or not