Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 stalling intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 AM
87gtNOS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 stalling intermittently

Last Fall I had a few issues with the bike not so much as stalling, but stuttering at a stop light...I think it was fouling the rear cylinder, PC5 map too rich....

Skip ahead now to this riding season, nice clean running plugs, bike runs strong. Started with ZERO map, let auto tune do the rest, revised map about 9 times now, runs great.

BUT, yesterday, it started to act up again, but different than last year....
Drive for 20 mins, pull in clutch and let the bike idle down to 1000rpm and it stalls.
It does this at any speed, as I had lots of time yesterday to test this. Cruise in any gear, pull in clutch, bike idles down...idles at about 1000rpm for a couple seconds then cleanly stalls. Release clutch and it fires back up.
Stop the bike with clutch in (I also checked with clutch out in Neutral this morning as I coasted to a stop) and it idles for 2 seconds then stalls.

It FIRES right back up when I start it back up. Only exception was this morning it seemed to turn over but not fire, then finally fired up.

Last night pulling into my driveway, kinda coasting, pull in clutch and it stalls...this morning pulling into work driveway, same thing....

Kinda like as if the kick stand switch was acting up or a neutral switch?

Help!! LOL!

Thanks

Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Maybe pull the PCV for a quick run? See if that has anything to do with it? Just thinking out loud.

lp

Old 04-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Frank Dukes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 09 had a similar issue and i had to clean the throttle body. i forget the name of the sensor behind the throttle body blade but it gets gummed up and gives idle issues. i used MAF cleaner - but any electronics friendly cleaner will do the trick. I cycled the bike on and off a few times with the throttle all the way cranked to open up the sensor (by this i mean cycling the on and off switch to hear the pumps prime not actually cranking the bike over). let it dry a bit then fire it up. you will see some black smoke come out your exhaust. thats all the crap you just cleaned out.

Last edited by Frank Dukes; 04-28-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 AM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

Good ideas guys.
I have a SE air cleaner...and I routed the two breathers to point into the TB with 3/16 steel brake tubing...this could possibly be causing a dirty IAC....
Will look tonight!

Last edited by 87gtNOS; 04-28-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:54 AM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

Bike basically stalls anytime once it's warmed up as soon as you bring it to idle...I rode home without the embarrassment of it stalling at the lights by keeping it idling at about 1200 rpm.

As I pulled the clutch in just at my driveway, not paying attention, sure as heck it stalled! LOL

Got home, pulled off SE airfilter, pretty dirty, and gave the MAF a good spraying of cleaner a few times and did some laps around the block...seems fine. Have to wait now for the rain to end later this week.
In the meantime, might order the K&N replacement HD0818 filter for it....

Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

That is called the Idle Air Control module. Clean out the IAC hole in top of teh throttle body with throttle body cleaner and it should cure your problem. I had that issue on my 05 with EFI. Cleaned IAC port and all was good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=clea...sm=91&ie=UTF-8

Old 04-29-2014, 10:07 AM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

this is an 09 103....I didn't notice any holes in the TB....and yes, I know what I'm looking for. I admit, I could be wrong.

From what I could tell, the idle is controlled by a stepper motor on the side, controlling the fly by wire and regulating the idle speed....

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks again

Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like Hogpro & a few other members are on the right track my bike does the same thing a couple of times a year & I just clean my IAC & she's back to normal.
A another thing I have found it you mix in 2-3ozs. of Marvel mystery oil in every five gallons of gas she sure idles alot smoother takes a couple of tanks lubes your top end give it a try

Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's back inside about 2 in. at the 12 o clock position a little larger than the spray straw on a spray can

Old 04-29-2014, 10:23 AM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

you sure? Here's a 09 TB (ported, but same as mine)

Quick Reply: 2009 stalling intermittently