Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna beads not balancing wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:47 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Dyna beads not balancing wheels

I tried the dynabeads because I wanted to clean the wheels up and I was also having problems with the wheel weights coming off occasionally. So anyway I put the recommended 2oz. of beads in each wheel took off the weights and it vibrated terrible at around 60 mph on up. Tried an additional 1 1/2 in each wheel. Still vibrating bad. Question is do I try more beads? Ran smooth before taking weights off and trying beads. My wheels had a lot of weight on them but unfortunately I didn't look to see how much per wheel.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the source of the imbalance doesn't move, the counter-weight should not move either.

In other words, balance the wheel the way that the laws of physics dictate will work by removing the beads and sticking a weight on the side opposite the imbalance and equal to the mass of the imbalance.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:55 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins
Since the source of the imbalance doesn't move, the counter-weight should not move either.

In other words, balance the wheel the way that the laws of physics dictate will work by removing the beads and sticking a weight on the side opposite the imbalance and equal to the mass of the imbalance.
A lot of guys on here say they work, and some bike shops use them all the time. I don't have them but I have been thinking of trying them. OP I wish I had something helpful to say, maybe some of the beads users will come on here with some info.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Dynamically balancing the wheels should work....

Do you happen to have a tube??

...and to the above post, I would recommend checking out dynamic balancing on youtube, lots of examples of how and why it works, and better than stagnant balancing.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:16 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior

No tubes.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

I never had an issue with them. I can't see being more than 2oz out, but it's possible.

Removing them is a chore.... I don't think adding more would hurt, but I'm trying to figure out why you've got vibration.

Do you get a "mist" or "fog" out of the valvestem when you release a bit of air? I don't know if they are prone to "clumping" if wet or not.

If I ever get to the point where I don't have a tire/wheel warranty, I'm going to ride-right gel. Same concept as the beads, but with a sealing quality....

Old 05-07-2014, 03:44 PM
AZRider62
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody that knows... are the beads only a good solution up to a point?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:49 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

I would say that if the beads are only good to "a point", once you're past that "point" you've got a problem.
Either with your rim or with your tire.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:40 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins

Isn't it done by the dyna beads, but dynamically? I used the beads on my 98 Fatboy and found them to be superior, smooth as silk.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:43 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dochawken
Isn't it done by the dyna beads, but dynamically? I used the beads on my 98 Fatboy and found them to be superior, smooth as silk.
That is what I thought it was supposed to do. Just not sure if I should try more or not.

Quick Reply: Dyna beads not balancing wheels