Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting j&p grab rail to late model HD police solo

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 AM
heikka
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting j&p grab rail to late model HD police solo

Posted in general HD and got zero so I'm going to try here:

Looking for underside pics of how folks have modified brackets to put grab rail on late model police solo seats. The one I'm using is a brand new 2014 take off so it has the single mono-shock instead of the air bladder.

I've got the plate brackets that the catalogs say you can use (once modified) to mount the rail to the t-bracket. Don't really want to reinvent the wheel here so if anyone has pics on how they did it, I sure would appreciate it.

The 2014 seat is going on a 2012 RK.

Thanks. J.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The T-bar is different but the police solo seat pan is the same on my '07 FLHP. The other bracket mounted in the pic is for my Utopia backrest.

You do not need any mounting kit to mount the seat rail on a police solo seat. Use a threaded insert tool like the one shown in the pic to install threads in the seat pan.

A word of caution...when drilling the holes for the inserts, use a stop on the drill bit so it doesn't go right through the seat. It has a tendency to grab.

It was necessary to trim some vinyl and hard plastic with a utility knife, so the rail would sit correctly, directly on the metal seat pan. Easy install, very solid, looks good. Hope this helped, good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Mounting j&p grab rail to late model HD police solo-threaded-insert-install-001.jpg   Mounting j&p grab rail to late model HD police solo-seat-rail-utopia-mustang-fit-038.jpg   Mounting j&p grab rail to late model HD police solo-seat-rail-utopia-mustang-fit-021.jpg  

Last edited by Recycled; 06-08-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:00 PM
heikka
2nd Gear

For whatever reason the board won't let me see your pics but I get it completely from your description. Thanks very much, gotta go buy a few nutserts

Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Recycled
Road Captain

Don't know why you can't see the pics. Can anyone else see them? PM me an email address and I will send them to you if you want.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
heikka
2nd Gear

Thanks!

Last edited by heikka; 06-10-2014 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 06-15-2014, 06:45 PM
heikka
2nd Gear

And it's on

Attached Thumbnails Mounting j&p grab rail to late model HD police solo-image.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 PM
copking
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default seat grab rail

Hey guys, When you put the seat rail on your police bikes, did the bags lids hit the rail when opening them? I used the VTWIN seat rail and the brackets but after the install I could not open my police bags. Any help would be... well helpful, thanks.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Recycled
Road Captain

Originally Posted by copking
Hey guys, When you put the seat rail on your police bikes, did the bags lids hit the rail when opening them? I used the VTWIN seat rail and the brackets but after the install I could not open my police bags. Any help would be... well helpful, thanks.

Because I have an '07 FLHP and I have the police solo seat swivelled down as low as possible, I do have to lift the rear of the seat up slightly (1/2") to allow the hardbag lids to clear the seat rail when opening. I like it like that and it also prevents the lids from accidently coming open while riding.

Because I also have the Utopia backrest bracket mounted to the T-bar, I couldn't move the rail further ahead enough to allow the lids to open without raising the seat. Hope that explains my particular installation.

It looks like heikka's will clear.

Last edited by Recycled; 08-26-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:57 PM
heikka
2nd Gear

Yep, mine clears fine.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:01 PM
copking
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply's! I ordered the threaded insert tool from Harbor today and will give it another try. I want to push it forward enough to be able to put my Mustang police backseat on when I'm lucky enough to be able to use it!! I think that the later bikes are set up a little different so heikka had no problem with clearance. I been wanting to put a seat rail on the bike for five years now and I'm soooooooooooooooo close!!!

Quick Reply: Mounting j&p grab rail to late model HD police solo