Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much oil is too much

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
NKy Ultra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much oil is too much

Changed the oil today on my 012 Ultra. I put in 3 1/2 quarts of Mobil 20w50 v-twin oil full synthetic. Took it for a short ride to check for leaks. Got back and checked the oil. It showing just a tad over the full mark on the dip stick. Should I loosen the drain plug and drain some out or will this be okay. By the way this is the first oil change I have done myself. Up next is the primary and the tranny.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:54 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts

3.5 quarts should be about right. You sure you got all the old oil out? You can check your air cleaner to see if you have any spitting out. If it's a "tad", I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:57 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,248 Likes on 8,382 Posts

Depending upon how much you overfilled it, if it`s spitting it out of the air cleaner, then you need to remove some of it. Get a basting tube and bulb to suck out the excess.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 PM
NKy Ultra
Cruiser

Pretty sure I got all the old oil out I let drain for about 40 minute and the I sat on it and got up off of the jiffy stand for about 5 minutes and drained a little more out until it was just a very slow drip.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:24 PM
NKy Ultra
Cruiser

I used the wife's turkey Baster (yup she's gonna be upset) and removed about 3 ounces. It's now showing just a tad below the full mark which is perfect. I hope I tightened up the oil filter enough. I hand tightened it as far as it would go and then I tightened it about 1/8 to 1/4 quarter turn using the wrench. I have bad memories of changing the oil in my car as a teenager and struggling to get the filter off using the old acre driver method. I don't want to do that with my bike.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:29 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i usually run mine about 3.25 QT in mine, seems to never give me a problem. as for the tranny, i put just under a QT, primary i fill up till fluid touches the funnel.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:32 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,248 Likes on 8,382 Posts

Originally Posted by NKy Ultra
Pretty sure I got all the old oil out I let drain for about 40 minute and the I sat on it and got up off of the jiffy stand for about 5 minutes and drained a little more out until it was just a very slow drip.
If you have engine guards you can get the dirty oil out that is left in the filter. After warming up the engine and shutting it down, carefully lean the bike onto the right engine guard (much easier with less than 1/2 tank of gas). Let the bike stand in that position for about 5 minutes and then remove the old oil filter. By then all of the old oil will have run out, and you can change the filter with no mess and install the new one. Then set the bike up level and drain the rest of the oil and other fluids as necessary. Don`t fill the oil tank all the way until you run the engine again. Then check the level and add as necessary. You will have a much cleaner change.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,250 Likes on 6,010 Posts

I concur.....put a bit over 2 quarts in, start it and let it run to check for leaks. shut off, and "sneak" up on the level you want. I never run my vehicles on the full mark. I put in the recommended amount of oil, or sneak up to the half-way point (between full and add). I run the bikes there or just below half full. I usually do not have a problem with oil blow by running there. I never put in the recommended amount without running and checking first.... and then it's never quite that much!

Old 07-08-2014, 06:50 PM
2-Piece
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NKy Ultra
I I hope I tightened up the oil filter enough. I hand tightened it as far as it would go and then I tightened it about 1/8 to 1/4 quarter turn using the wrench.
That might be a bit over tight, hand tight is sufficient. Did you put any oil on the filter seal before you installed it?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:55 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Same here 3 1/4 qts. check for leaks with a short run(idle), then fill to half way on the dip stick. Oil filters with the gasket oiled go on hand tight.

Quick Reply: How much oil is too much