Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of HD for Long Distance Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pros and Cons of HD for Long Distance Touring

I am curious to see what the honest/unbiased opinions of forum members are on the strengths and weaknesses of the HD touring bikes for long distance touring. If you have experience with other brands for this purpose, all the better. In my opinion, all bikes do some things very well and fall short in some areas.

All things considered, my 12' Ultra Limited is a solid long distance bike. Of course, I have modified the crap out of it to make it comfortable for the long haul and perform better than stock. Here is my experience;

Strengths ;
Comfortable with flexibility for adjusting position while riding.
Great wind & weather protection.
Reliable
Comfortable passenger accommodations
Good stereo system for rider and passenger
Cargo capacity

Weaknesses;
Not enough power (even modified). Struggle to maintain high speed uphill while loaded 2-up. Lack of adequate passing power on highway.
Mediocre suspension
Lack of technology (i.e. electronic suspension, TPMS, adj. windshield, etc
Slightly unstable at high speed

What do you all think?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:44 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

I have ridden my road glide on a number of really long distance rides. The iron butt 1000 in 24 hours, 1500 in 24 hours, the 50 cc( coast to coast in 50hours or less) hell I even rode the hoka hey and did 19k in 23 days, and that was non stop ***** to the wall riding. Bike held up well, never gave any problems. The touring platform is a good long distance platform. A hell of a lot more comfortable than a wing or a BMW. Had both they could not have handled the abuse of these type of rides.

Do disagree with your weaknesses. Power is adequate you just have to modify to get there ($$$), suspension can be adequate if you spend a few thousand bucks($$). Never saw need for electronically adjustable anything.
Fixed fairing of RG is stable at high speed, although rain protection not as good as batwing

Last edited by bigskyroadglide; 07-13-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:46 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg

Weaknesses;
Not enough power (even modified). Struggle to maintain high speed uphill while loaded 2-up. Lack of adequate passing power on highway.

I have no experience with other brand touring bikes, but my 2012 Limited with TW-222 cams and a "stage one" pull hills with out an issue and passing 2-up. up to 95mph, (don't go faster with the wife) is no issue.
Maybe we are talking different grade hills? Please explain further. can your BMW have that much more power that it spoiled you?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:07 PM
baddad13304
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sure opened a can! My FJR is a far better long haul tour bike. I love my Roadglide maybe because I grew up on a Harley. My first bike was a 74 Sporty I bought in 75 and I have always had a Harley. I also have owned many other bikes all all leave something on the table. Your weaknesses were right on the button, calling my suspension mediocre is generous. All that said I like wandering and pondering on the RoadSlide, love those lazy fall days riding in the Adirondack mountains, love poking around with a lady friend in the back. The FJR is very comfortable for me, fast, handles well, eats bumps, and has better bags. It also is not for relaxing, if I want to get somewhere and I'm riding instead of on a ride I will take the FJR. I once went from Utica NY to Plattsburgh NY, 196 miles door to door, in two hours and twenty minutes. That was with a pit stop in Speculator. I actually just sold the FJR ... I kept the RoadGlide.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:15 PM
baddad13304
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can your BMW have that much more power that it spoiled you?

Yes, a big sport-tour bike like any BWM or FJR have well over a hundred HP and gobs of TQ, they also are way lighter bikes.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:18 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I lived in the mountains in the Heart of Appalachia.

Had no problem pulling the mountains with my 2011 FLTRU, and my 14 FLHTK has even more power.

If a man truly wanted more power, the ZX14R Ninja has gobs....

Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 PM
freebaggin
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

I guess I just dont get the need for gobs of extra power on a tour bike. Ive ridden several long distance outings, 1500+ miles on several, usually to a Harley run or event. When Im fully loaded and going up hill, I just down shift & I can cruz at 75-85 all day no problem. For me there is no substitute for a big HD bagger for touring but then a again i'd feel silly pulling up to a HD event in an FJR or Goldwing, which I know are great bikes.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:41 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

I bought my bike for what it was, I don't begrudge it for what it isn't. If there isn't room to pass, I don't pass. Hill climbing may be related to passing. I believe the throttle by wire machines are programmed so you can't get full throttle below 3000 rpm regardless of twist grip position. If you start pulling a hill or start passing when below 3000 rpm that restriction will get you off to a weak start. A downshift will help get full throttle and get the engine closer to the power band. I have put heavier oil in the forks and rear shocks, suspension seems fine to me. My stock 96 engine will go fast enough to get me a ticket in any state of the union, that's good enough for me. While on my way saving up for a Harley, I have traveled on Kawasakis and Yamahas. They can't compete with the Harley in any category related to traveling. I don't expect a pick up truck to accelerate or handle like a Ferrari and I don't expect a touring Harley to be a cafe racer. While every machine can be improved if you are willing to spend extra money, it still has certain design limits. My machine does what I bought it for very well.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

never rode another brand more then a few miles so limited comparison,here are some thoughts.

-huge network in place even way beyond the dealer network for parts or repair.
-suspension could be better but theres options,try to avoid damaged roads is getting harder to do it seams.
-put a cam in that really wakes up at 3-4 rpm great for passing trucks and hills(did that).
-the lack of technology is a plus, thats why HD,MB and others that run on a platforms of make what u have reliable and withstanding a top priority
cons:

-wind shield wiper sometimes, thought about a removable one?? or wax works good enough if applied in time.
-Gas tank capacity is ok usually want to stop every 150 to 200 miles anyway.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 PM
ThisIsMe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by baddad13304
can your BMW have that much more power that it spoiled you?
At a rated 160hp for the BMW it might have.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of HD for Long Distance Touring