Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroke recovery

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 PM
melie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stroke recovery

Three days ago I had a mild stroke. All is good but,I have limited feeling and mobility in my right arm they tell me it will come back. Has any one here experienced similar? I'm wondering how long it took to get back to riding.

Thanks,
Mark

p.s. There is NO upside to getting old.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:02 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Sorry to hear, best wishes to you, my friend!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hope you heal quick. Just do your exercises and be patient. you will be back out before you know it.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,194 Likes on 2,825 Posts

Mark,
I know this may not be what you want to hear but it varies from person to person and incident to incident. Give it time and do whatever your doc says for recovery

Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 PM
roadglider1
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Best wish's for a full and speedy recovery.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,250 Likes on 813 Posts

Stroke no, tbi yes. Last year out dirt biking I basically broke my brain. Time and therapy. They take what they take. For me, it was half a year. I had to relearn some things, use some tools, and heal. Here it is almost a year later and things are still changing and improving.

The physical disabilities were and are the least of it. The damaged mental functioning was and still is the most dangerous. I'm not talking about the stuttering. I'm talking about walking off the curb because there was no traffic to the right, I forgot to look left. Or suddenly starting to pull through a red light because I thought it was green, or simply got confused. There are days I do not ride.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

My thoughts and prayers are with you for a full and complete recovery,do not rush it.Better to be safe than sorry.Mike

Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did have one and I happen to be an RN. I think its important to understand that every single one is different, affects different parts of the brain and does varying amounts of damage.
Its unlikely that comparing your situation to anyone else is going to be of value to you. If you are having good results now that seems like a good predictor.
I would strongly recommend talking with your treatment time about what they would predict, they really know your situation better than anyone. Naturally a lot of doctors hate motorcycles so take that into account when you listen to their advice but just make it clear that is what you do.
I wish you best of luck in your recovery and most particularly in avoiding ever having another one.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 PM
wpdjoey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck for a speedy recovery

Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Stroke two years ago and things still give me problems . I can't allow myself to get tired while riding . So I take what I have and ride carefully and no more long days . I can do 400 miles if I rest well the night before take my time and relax .

When I get tired my decision making skills are in question .

Quick Reply: Stroke recovery