Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swingarm Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I had the same thing happen to me on my 2000 RK.

I have been making Delron Bushings for FXR's for a while back in the late 80's to remove the rear-steer. I also had been making aluminum blocks with an axle hole that fit inside of the swing arm that have two (2) threaded holes and 1/4"X20 stainless Alan head bolts for the wheel chain/belt adjustment. This fills up the inside of the swing-arm making the swing-arm solid but is lubricated with never-seeze & prevents electrolysis from the aluminum block & steel swing-arm. I included two (2) "mushroom" shaped spacers that replace the OEM wheel spacers. That purpose is to spread the load out onto the the two sides of the swing-arm so the spacers are tightened against the plate that fills up the inside of the swing-arm and the two (top & bottom) 90º parts of the boxed tubing. If you repair your swing-arm you may try this. I no longer make this product as the frequency of sales for this product is so infrequent that the cost of stocking it did not justify the sales.

It was not a far jump when the 2002 FLT came out, with its much improved design and the availability of cheap swing-arm assemblies including caliper & wheel/axle (around $100 all over at that time thanks to the trike conversions) to make the Delron bushings as a direct conversion using the late model swing arm (2002~2008) to the early model FLT. I needed it so I did it on my own bike which I still have.

This conversion requires no drilling of the transmission case to convert from 5/8" to a 3/4" pivot shaft. This replacement kit was designed for a painless conversion using your pivot shaft and replacing the poorly specificationed 100 foot pounds of side load on the OEM bearings found on the 2002~2008 FLT's. These Delron/stainless bushings were originally designed to eliminate the rear steer in FXR's due to the rubber Clieve blocks. I have no rear steer on my 2000 S&S 124 CI FLT with the swing-arm upgrade. These are still available from me.

Thanks for posting Howard. Try to call in morning and get your bushings I was just pulling the ole girl apart to put the newer swing arm on as it finally broke