Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tallboy Handlebars Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 PM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tallboy Handlebars Installed

Went to an Indy and had them put on, needed nothing, not clutch or brake or wiring.

First thoughts, I love em'. Arms are out, not too far and with the tall boy seat I already had, the ride is much better. Mirrors are out more and I think my sight line is better with them out wider.

Problem, muscle memory...lol. I now find that when I a sight seeing I drift a little but anticipate that going away. It's a much better feel, I don't have to turn as much with my arms as before because I feel my arms are not on top of the bars. My first turn out of the parking lot was a shape one... Framed me out a little. Bars shake more At idle but i don't care.

Before

After

Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 PM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain

Update:now I am used to the bars and I love them. 50 miles tonight and my back is better longer with my arms. I didn't want to stop riding it was so fun and relaxing.

Front end feels different, I can't really describe it by I don't sink when I brake, and just driving straight I feel it working the road a lot more than before... If that sounds strange it is just a different feeling than I had before. Maybe because I am relaxed and not pushing down anymore.

Two up. This is the main reason I wanted the switch. Now I turn much better with my wife on the back, tight and more fluid, like butter. She can tell the difference too. This is the biggest improvement. It is so much better my elbow isn't going in my ribs anymore, I don't have to slow down to take it easy around a turn (I am not going fast now just at a normal speed for my skill), I can just take a turn.

Best thing I did to this ride by far was the handlebars.

Cost.
This is the funny part. There are three dealers within 20 miles of me. Every time I asked for a quote it was a flat rate of 1200 bucks. These are Harley tallboys, so every time I would ask the dealer would turn to the back of the catalog and tell me about a extension and new cables. I even said I don't think I need them they insisted I do. Same bullshit when I put my drag bars on a different bike, that one I did myself. Then I stop at an chopper shop, they quote me 1000 bucks.

So one day about 50 miles out of town I spot a independent dealer. When I get home I call the place, explain what I want to do and the bars I want to put on. I tell him my the approximate change in the bars from stock, and he says 600 if you buy the bars. So I take it in. They want to get it in the lift and order any cables they might need because I wanted it back in three days. They take the tall boys out of the box and tell me they have never seen these bars before. Ask me If I really want them I tell, I tell them I sure do because I sat on a ride that had them and I liked them. Guy says you can ride this bike home in a hour. No cable changes and not wiring issues, plenty of slack, I was gone in an hour for 135 bucks in labor.

So 370 bucks when a dealer wouldn't budge from 1200. That's awesome.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:23 AM
WoodsHog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got them on my ride and love em too.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:12 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Are these the new 14 bars? If so, I sat on an street glide in IL that had them, I like them also. Just not sure I want my hands above the fairing for cold weather riding.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:13 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Nice bars...is there a reason they didn't run your control wires internally? Are there holes to run cables inside?

Just curious...internal wiring is most of your cost (extending and pulling) so guessing that's why your cost was so low.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Sanyasi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been thinking of doing the same---- I'm 6'2" with long arms and a tall boy seat. Been thinking of Burley bars as well but what are your physical specs, about the same as me so I can compare?

Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanyasi
Been thinking of doing the same---- I'm 6'2" with long arms and a tall boy seat. Been thinking of Burley bars as well but what are your physical specs, about the same as me so I can compare?
I'm the same size as you with the stock seat and I just installed those bars. I like them way better than the stock bars and didn't want my hands above the fairing. If you install them, consider the reach to full lock when you're setting them. If they're too straight up or close to the fairing, you're going to really have to reach to make a full lock turn.

Those bars don't have accommodations for internal wiring.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Nice bars...is there a reason they didn't run your control wires internally? Are there holes to run cables inside?

Just curious...internal wiring is most of your cost (extending and pulling) so guessing that's why your cost was so low.
To answer this and another post, the bars are smaller than 10" bars. The are about 1.5/2.0 inches higher I believe but tuen your wrists out.

Yes you could wire the bars internally I believe. There are cut outs by both grips and one in the middle. I didn't want that cus I like the wires and cables reminds me of older bikes.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:41 PM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sanyasi
Sanyasi. I had a tallboy before I got this done. I am 6/4 and have long arms also. 36 inseam. Armpit to the tip of my swear finger, 29".5 inches, forearm to
The tip of my swear finger 17.5. With a 78.5 inch wingspan. Neck is a 20.

You would think I would be hung like a horse, but no. Lol

Old 08-01-2014, 04:42 PM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
I'm the same size as you with the stock seat and I just installed those bars. I like them way better than the stock bars and didn't want my hands above the fairing. If you install them, consider the reach to full lock when you're setting them. If they're too straight up or close to the fairing, you're going to really have to reach to make a full lock turn.

Those bars don't have accommodations for internal wiring.
Thanks for clearing that boondocks, i hate to give bad info. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Tallboy Handlebars Installed