Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 cruise has a mind of its own

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:42 AM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 07 cruise has a mind of its own

Anyone else have their cruise completely not work. Then it started working again for a while and now the best part it turns itself on then tries to set at 70mph. It still works intermittently but it's just dangerous with it turning itself on. Hitting the brakes has always canceled it. I've gotten to the point of turning off the rocker switch and not even try to use it. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what did you replace to resolve the issue?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:20 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mfortkamp
Anyone else have their cruise completely not work. Then it started working again for a while and now the best part it turns itself on then tries to set at 70mph. It still works intermittently but it's just dangerous with it turning itself on. Hitting the brakes has always canceled it. I've gotten to the point of turning off the rocker switch and not even try to use it. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what did you replace to resolve the issue?
Check for diagnostic code P0577...It may be a faulty set/resume switch....

I got the code the other day and the check engine light came on. I was able to clear the code and went through the drop down test for the switch which showed everything was working correctly. I replaced my bars recently and I'm thinking maybe a bad/loose connection somewhere. If mine occurs again, I'll pull the fairing and check the large electrical connector on the right side.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

I was having a problem with it activating intermittently. It wasn't coming on by itself but it would go through periods where regardless of whether or not the rocker switch was on, the cruise switch would not activate.

Then just by chance due to an unrelated issue I had the throttle and brake assy. apart. After putting everything back together the problem with the cruise went away and has never returned. That's been at least 20K miles ago. I assume the problem was in a pinched wire or some other contact point in my right handle bar assy. Either caused by the throttle or brake mechanism. You may just want to take apart the entire assembly and spray some contact cleaner in there and re-assemble.

Important: Remember to put a piece of cardboard to act as a spacer between your brake handle and housing to prevent damaging the brake switch.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I had the same issue with mine a couple years ago. First it quit working, then occasionally would engage then would start accelerating on its own. Would usually disengage with brake tap, however sometimes it would re-engage on its own right away and continue accelerating. It also would randomly engage on its own and start accelerating. I went through the switch housing, wiring, replaced the speed sensor, followed all the diagnostics in the electrical manual (separate from the service manual) and still could not get it to work or work right. In the end I replaced the cruise module, which still had the same problem, but then all of a sudden it began working correctly now for over a year. I even checked the wiring in the loom under the tank but never found any wiring or ground problems. Apparently it was the, of course, expensive module.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Popcorn Eater
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the set resume/switch. Contacts inside seem to corrode a little or moisture creates a mild short. Mine used to act up after a rain or wash. Spray a bunch of wd40 into the switch and work it around a lot to work in the wd40 into the contacts. If you riding and notice it, just keep working the switch for a few minutes to rub the corrosion off (or work the moisture free) the contacts and it will clear. I've had my switch apart and put dielectric grease on the contacts but it eventually did it again. Bad switch design. You can't just order the switch by itself. Must order the whole housing otherwise I would have replaced mine.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:23 AM
garbageman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had similar problem on the way back from Sturgis this year. Took it in and they replaced the set/resume switch under warranty. Haven't had a problem since.