Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extension Harness for Bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:32 AM
yokdriver
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extension Harness for Bars

I am looking to do some 12" bars on my 14SG soon and I was wondering if anyone else has used this to extend the wires as needed with new bars. I know I can cut and solder to extend but I want to keep it clean, simple and easy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAMZ-Ready-T...37c7a6&vxp=mtr

Old 08-29-2014, 12:40 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want to keep it neat, simple and clean then you should cut and solder.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:48 PM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I used the gorilla harness to keep the colors of wires the same through to the connectors, but cut soldered them in. Worked like a charm.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 PM
yokdriver
Tourer

only reason why i dont want to cut them is if i put it back to stock

Old 08-29-2014, 06:59 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If you use the good color coded extensions and use a heat gun to heat shrink the tubing you should not have any issues. Just don't attach your pulling device(string, wire, etc) in the area of the connections when making your pulls.

http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.c...07_up.html#top

Old 08-30-2014, 12:16 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CyGlide
I used the gorilla harness to keep the colors of wires the same through to the connectors, but cut soldered them in. Worked like a charm.
+ 1 guerrilla cables , used them in my 13 SG and in the 14 RK cut and solder. You will not have to extend the tbw.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 AM
Scott14SG
Tourer

Received 71 Likes on 26 Posts

I just installed 12" Monkey bars, used the 8" NAMZ extensions for the hand controls, no extensions needed for the TBW. I didn't need to cut and solder anything either, it probably took me a little longer and lots more swearing in the garage, but I was able to wire everything up without cutting any wires. Be VERY careful with the TBW connectors, the trick to all this is take your time, I had to just walk away and come back to it a few times, work the wiring back and forth gently.

Before you try installing the bars take a good look at the clutch/brake lines and reroute them to give you enough room to reach, you'll have to cut a bunch of zip ties and possibly loosen the clutch cable up top just enough to reposition it just don't loosen it too much.

Tip: install the lower part of the TBW first, then the right side hand control wiring, once that side is done connect the NAMZ extensions. It worked best to trim off a couple inches of the black plastic wiring cover on the hand control wiring. I used weed eater line and secured it using electrical tape and sprayed windex inside the bars. After you get the hand control wiring in then carefully reconnect the TBW, I had to hold the green connector (lower connector inside the bars) with a pair of needle nose pliers but it can be done if you take your time. The left side was much easier using the same method of removing some of the black wiring cover, this side took all of 30 minutes tops.

I'm glad I did it myself but there won't be a next time for wiring bars like these.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:19 AM
MudmanMike
Cruiser

This is how Betty looks after the bars. Very comfortable.

I bought the extender set from Harley for 35 bux. Ran all the wires through my bars. Remember that the 14s are plug and play. Why cut any wires when The MOCO makes a plug and play system? Then if you want to go back to stock you simply unplug and revert it to stock. I did get the 10" bars.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:11 PM
yokdriver
Tourer

that setup looks good

Old 08-30-2014, 02:14 PM
MudmanMike
Cruiser

Thanks I really am liking the setup just not the service I have received. The bars were pretty easy to install and it only took me and a buddy 2.5 hours to do.

Quick Reply: Extension Harness for Bars