Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW K vs HD

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:52 PM
EdandGrace
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default BMW K vs HD

For those who have experienced both, what is your experience/preference for the BMW K vs. HD touring?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 PM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you referring specifically to the 1600 when you say "K"?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 PM
PanhandleChuck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ridden the new K (1600) bikes (GT) and own a 2010 R1200GSA and 2014 HD RK. My GSA is a better tourer than the RK, at least in stock form, and likely in any form. The suspension and ride on the BMW will be hard to replicate.

Having said that, this is a HD forum!

Only you know your riding style, the miles you cover, the weather you ride in, and how comfortable you can get on a bike. I've ridden my GSA 6K miles in 10 days, on two seperate occassions. I ride it 500 miles a day many times a year, in any weather at 80 mph, all day long. It's just a different ride, it works for me. I love the boxer engines. You may find a HD tourer works for you or you may find a K bike does the job.

I'd say, past experience is the best idcator of what will work for you. For example, if you're asking the question because you're a BMW rider, and you like being a BMW rider, all the creature comforts and technology of the BMW, the HD probably won't be your choice. However, if you're a HD rider, love the vibes, the muscle car of bikes style, and have been in the HD family for some time, the BMW is likely to drastic of a change for you, and perhaps not in a good way.

Oh, the GT is a rocket on wheels. I don't have the discipline to ride one responsibly.

Not much help, huh?

By the way, IMO, the RT is the best all around bike ever made. It does everything exceptionally.

Last edited by PanhandleChuck; 08-29-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:23 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 309 Posts

I have no idea what the BMW K is, but thought I would share this picture I captured while I was in Custer just after the rally.

Attached Thumbnails BMW K vs HD-sam_1260.jpg  
Old 08-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

I ride an '07 Street Glide and '99 BMW K1200RS. Love both. Comparisons are apples and oranges. Enjoy the ride, whichever way you go.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:45 PM
zdrifter
Cruiser

As others have said, not sure which BMW you mean, but the BMW line are all far different than HD's.

Are they good tourers? ... yes; but you pay a big price in maint. and the reliability is not good in my experience. HD's can be worked on fairly easily, BMW's not so much (it is possible, just not very easy). Many complain of lots of electrical gremlins and the final drive problems are legend.

It may be heresy to say so, but there are a few bikes that are as good at touring and cost far less to buy and maintain than both HD and BMW ,..... but my guess is people who buy HD's and BMW's are not only buying a bike but a ........ (you fill in the words).

I've owned several models of both over the years (along with many other brands) and my RKC is perfect for me right now ... you gotta choose what fits you.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:03 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't know if i buy the maintenance reliability is better on a harley. A 10k service from the harley dealers here in CA, is twice if not 3 times the price of a BMW service on the boxer engine. I see more high mileage beemers on the road around here too then any harley. Needless to say, i love my road glide and would not trade it for anything at this point. But if i was going to get a second bike for the stable, it would be a 1200RT, the new one. I have ridden the RT for years, i love it and it rides amazing, but its not a harley. i want my main ride to be a harley. But i have to give it to bmw, when harley has a recall you don't get crap, when bmw just did the last recall on the suspension component, they gave loaner bikes and a couple thousand dollars for the invconvience. Harley could learn a thing or two about customer service, they suck at that nowadays.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 PM
EdandGrace
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PanhandleChuck
I've ridden the new K (1600) bikes (GT) and own a 2010 R1200GSA and 2014 HD RK. My GSA is a better tourer than the RK, at least in stock form, and likely in any form. The suspension and ride on the BMW will be hard to replicate.

Having said that, this is a HD forum!

Only you know your riding style, the miles you cover, the weather you ride in, and how comfortable you can get on a bike. I've ridden my GSA 6K miles in 10 days, on two seperate occassions. I ride it 500 miles a day many times a year, in any weather at 80 mph, all day long. It's just a different ride, it works for me. I love the boxer engines. You may find a HD tourer works for you or you may find a K bike does the job.

I'd say, past experience is the best idcator of what will work for you. For example, if you're asking the question because you're a BMW rider, and you like being a BMW rider, all the creature comforts and technology of the BMW, the HD probably won't be your choice. However, if you're a HD rider, love the vibes, the muscle car of bikes style, and have been in the HD family for some time, the BMW is likely to drastic of a change for you, and perhaps not in a good way.

Oh, the GT is a rocket on wheels. I don't have the discipline to ride one responsibly.

Not much help, huh?

By the way, IMO, the RT is the best all around bike ever made. It does everything exceptionally.

Have a 13 SG. Recently completed a 2800 mi. tour in 8 days. Loved the ride and as it was my first tour, am looking forward to doing this at least annually. The SG served me well and for day rides is a great bike. Was not that comfortable in a few situations with the SG. 15 - 20 mi cross winds and relatively heavy rain with wind. Looking at the features of the 1600 K, it just appears like there is more for the buck. Just wanting to know from those who have experience with both as what the difference might be. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:19 PM
PanhandleChuck
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EdandGrace
Have a 13 SG. Recently completed a 2800 mi. tour in 8 days. Loved the ride and as it was my first tour, am looking forward to doing this at least annually. The SG served me well and for day rides is a great bike. Was not that comfortable in a few situations with the SG. 15 - 20 mi cross winds and relatively heavy rain with wind. Looking at the features of the 1600 K, it just appears like there is more for the buck. Just wanting to know from those who have experience with both as what the difference might be. Thanks.
Nothing works in a cross wind! Two years ago, I25N between Pueblo and Colorado Springs, I must have been at a 45 degree angle or better, talk about a work out! I'm working on geting my RK long distance comfortable, you know, the arss likes what it likes! The forward controls are growing on me and I like the RK more as the miles pile on!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master

The Harley for that Cadillac ride I own a 2013 FLHTK but forget the BMW go with the Concours 14 it just eats the miles and handles like a sport bike.jmho

Quick Reply: BMW K vs HD