Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Cruise/CkEng_Light/O2Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:03 AM
GungHo-HD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Cruise/CkEng_Light/O2Codes

200 miles into my vacation trip of 2000 miles I was using the cruise control and when I shut the cruise off my check engine light came on.

Cruise does not work now. The light comes on RED but will not set. Ran the cruise test and all switches checked out fine.

Checked for codes and I am getting the following.
P0134 Front Oxygen Sensor Inactive
P0154 Rear Oxygen Sensor Inactive.
P0577 Cruise Control Input High

The bike runs awesome, starts well, accelerates good, no hesitations no back firing. I am using a Cobra Fi2000 tuner. V&H HO Mufflers and V&H HO head pipe, screaming eagle air intake.

Plugged the stock O2 connectors in and ck engine light still comes on. In other words I unplugged the Cobra FI2000 o2 sensor connectors and it threw the same codes so it's more than likely not the tunner.

Should i just replace both o2 sensors ? I can't find any bad wires. Will the cruise not work if the o2 sensors are bad? Why would they both go bad at the same time? Or could it be two separate problems. A cruise switch and 02 sensors.

I have 18,000 miles on the odometer when the light came on. Finished my trip of 2000 miles so I now have 20k The bike ran perfect after the light came on just no cruise control.
Any thoughts?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:25 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Never heard of bad o2 sensors causing the cruise to go out. The o2 codes are active because you are using the cobra o2 sensors at least that's what I would think. How did you deactivate the cruise? What year bike? I would think bad wire but if all the switches checked out in your test then like you I'm stumped.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:45 PM
GungHo-HD
Cruiser

It's a 2011 Ultra Limited with the 103 CI, I'm using the stock o2 sensors. I deactivated the cruise by the front brake pedal.

I unhooked the Cobra connectors at the o2 sensor and plugged in the factory stock connectors and the light came back on. Seems weird that I got all three codes at the same time and the cruise does not work. I'm thinking about taking the head pipe off and testing the o2 sensors with a volt meter and inspecting them. I think after that I will just try replacing the o2 sensors. I can't find any bad wires. I think something is causing the cruise to not work but not sure what.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

For your cruise problem, take a look at your set/resume switch. Maybe get some contact cleaner and work on it, of course guarding your paint from overspray.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the procedure for checking the cruise from the electrical service manual.

Run the following test it checks the operation of all the switches that set or cancel the cruise.

Kill switch in run position
Hold cruise to set position
Turn on ignition
Cruise light on speedometer should be green
Release set on cruise light should be red
If it stays green you have a switch problem or pinched wire
if it is red make the other switches one at a time
all the following should turn the light green
set
resume
front brake
rear brake
clutch
throttle roll forward

Old 09-02-2014, 07:34 PM
GungHo-HD
Cruiser

Just got the first o2 sensor out, looks rich. I am wondering if this may be blocking the signal? I am going to attempt to run a voltage test on it now. I ran the cruise test on it mentioned above and it all looked okay I will run it again to see if anything changed.

Attached Thumbnails No Cruise/CkEng_Light/O2Codes-photo.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 PM
GungHo-HD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vzts4q
This is the procedure for checking the cruise from the electrical service manual.

Run the following test it checks the operation of all the switches that set or cancel the cruise.

Kill switch in run position
Hold cruise to set position
Turn on ignition
Cruise light on speedometer should be green
Release set on cruise light should be red
If it stays green you have a switch problem or pinched wire
if it is red make the other switches one at a time
all the following should turn the light green
set
resume
front brake
rear brake
clutch
throttle roll forward

Just did this test and all seems to work except the clutch switch, it stays RED. I believe that I do have the natural lockout switch as the bike has to be in natural before starting. You cannot start it while in gear and pressing in the clutch.

So every switch test changes to green and back to red when I release the pedal. Is this correct or is it supposed to go green and back to red while holding the switch? Mine stays green until I release. The clutch stays RED at all times.

Where is the clutch switch located?

Old 09-03-2014, 05:46 AM
GungHo-HD
Cruiser

bumps

Old 09-03-2014, 08:34 AM
vzts4q
Road Master

Originally Posted by GungHo-HD
Just did this test and all seems to work except the clutch switch, it stays RED. I believe that I do have the natural lockout switch as the bike has to be in natural before starting. You cannot start it while in gear and pressing in the clutch.

So every switch test changes to green and back to red when I release the pedal. Is this correct or is it supposed to go green and back to red while holding the switch? Mine stays green until I release. The clutch stays RED at all times.

Where is the clutch switch located?
It is inside the left handlebar switch housing.
That will be the reason you can not start the bike in gear by pulling in the clutch, but the cruise should still work. I'll go get my service manual and check the PO577 code

Last edited by vzts4q; 09-03-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:14 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Default Po577

The electrical service manual section for the PO577 code is 4 pages plus and requires a breakout box for testing. And mine is the 08 manual so it could be different.

Quick Reply: No Cruise/CkEng_Light/O2Codes