Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decat or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:12 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

The stock pipe will tune just like the V&H X pipe. Or any x pipe.. It's just a pain in the azz to tune.. I just did one and it it's tricky.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TVH475
Whats the opinion on de-catting the factory header or going to aftermarket head pipes on performance? Here's my situation, I've got a '15 FLTRXS that I put RCX mufflers on & I'm either going to de-cat or go with Rush HO duals or V&H power duals! I will most likely add an A/C & tuner to complete the stg 1! I can do the de-cat for all but free & pipes are going to run me just under $500! What do you all think is there a performance edge to the aftermarket pipes at this level!
Thanks
Troy
The V&H header that came with my power duals was the exact size header of my stock removed header. I thought it would have been larger diameter but it was not. The only difference was the lack of cat in the header.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:24 PM
426power
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I decatted my head pipe. I put on a Stage one air cleaner and a Pro HD tuner and had it dyno tuned. There was no problem tuning it and I gained 8 HP and 7 ftlbs of torque. The sounds is awesome as well.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by SG-Jay
You can get it all out with a spade bit and wire brush on a drill extension. Anyone who says you can't has never tried it.
+1 I agree works fine I was ready to cut and weld but I figured what the heck. What did I have to lose?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:16 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have decatted four of them so far by cutting a window and welding it back up, and all the bikes run well with a good tuner. It should only take about an hour after the pipe is off of the bike.

Having had the cat chamber open and digging that stuff out, I don't see how you could get it all out with a drill, but if people have done it and say it works, then I will not say it can't be done.

Fuel Moto has a dyno sheet that shows a stock '09 (no cat) vs. a stock '09 with a Jackpot header. No other mods. There is a 1.8 difference in HP between the two. So much for scavaging, big power gains, or losses.

As far as the o2 sensors go, those are not even hooked up if you use a PC-5 from Fuel Moto. Not sure about other tuners.

Maybe if I was going to do a lot of mods like cams, heads, etc. I might consider a head pipe, but for the standard slipons, aircleaner upgrade, a decatted headpipe is all that is needed.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 09-16-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:24 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
Easiest ( cheapest ) way is to buy a set of stock pipes that have been decatted ( on EBay ) and change it out. Or go to Fullsac and buy a Sportpipe. Lots cheaper than your other choices.
This is the first I've heard of the Fullsac Sportpipe. That seems like a pretty good deal. Anyone have one? Do you like it?

Beary

Old 09-16-2014, 10:24 AM
TVH475
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all the responces! This is what I'm going to do, I'm going to de cat for now and when I'm ready to do more I'm going to call dragos for all the right stuff!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 AM
August
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just getting the weight of a stock header off the bike is an improvement.

Once you have the H-D header off the bike and see it on your bench, you'll see what a kludge it is. Poor design, heavy, poor flow, definite hot spots evidenced by discoloration.

Jackpot header is the way.

I'm surprised no one in this thread had addressed the health risks of poking around inside a catalytic converter.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I decided it was a great time to move up to V/H Power Duals.
Glad I did.

Quick Reply: Decat or aftermarket?