Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebars and cables

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 01:37 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Handlebars and cables

I'm going to change my Ultra handlebars to something more comfortable (I hope) and I was told that I would need new cables 4" over.Now,will I have to get all the cables replaced and should I stay with the H-D ones or are there better aftermarket products?The handlebars I chose are the WO 575.Thanks for your help.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:40 AM
2011RoadKing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With the 575 you might need to reroute the clutch cable but everything will work, if you want the clutch cable routed as per oem then you'll need 4-6 inches longer

Old 09-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After trying different bars within the limits if stock cable length I found that I was better off buying a little more cable than I thought I would need. The difference between 4&6" isn't so much that you can't hide it if you don't need it.

Unless if course you have the money to toss at it, I tend to be cheap and only like to do things once.

I was amazed at the jump in quality between stock and Barnett cables, they were so much smoother (Barnett) operating and could be seen when side by side with stock.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:23 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member

Road King,you think that only the clutch cable should be changed,but what about the rest of the cables,wouldn't they be too short as well?

Florida Swamp,you find the Barnett item to be much better than OEM.Let's hope so!
Thank you guys for the replies.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:26 PM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with 12" Bars and 6 inch cables ext All braided Silver
Costly but in the end it was worth the look

Old 09-15-2014, 01:46 PM
avonflhtk
Advanced

I just put the WO 575s on my '11 Ultra Limited last week and didn't have to replace a thing. I did reroute the clutch cable inside the fairing but everything else worked perfectly. BTW, I absolutely LOVE these bars!!!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:08 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by avonflhtk
I just put the WO 575s on my '11 Ultra Limited last week and didn't have to replace a thing. I did reroute the clutch cable inside the fairing but everything else worked perfectly. BTW, I absolutely LOVE these bars!!!
I'm glad to hear that,it conflicts with what I was told by somebody from WO!Now,if you don't mind,could you tell me the reasons why you absolutely "LOVE" these bars.Thanks

Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011RoadKing
With the 575 you might need to reroute the clutch cable but everything will work, if you want the clutch cable routed as per oem then you'll need 4-6 inches longer
I had the 575 on my 2010 limited. traded bike thats why I said had. The only cable I had to change was the clutch because I did not want to reroute it outside of the fairing. And I also loved them. I now have a 2014 Limited and put the WO578 very similar. the 575 did not fit the 2014's. By the way I used a +2 cable.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM
avonflhtk
Advanced

I don't care what anyone says, it can be done. I did it! The only thing I did was reroute the clutch cable inside the fairing. In the stock position, it loops around a bunch of wires and stuff and all you need to do is put it behind all that stuff, run it closer to the inner fairing and then back out the same hole. No problems at all. I am 5"11" and I wear a 34" sleeve length but the stock bars gave me a burning sensation right between my shoulder blades after about 30 minutes of riding. The WO 575s bring the bars up 2", back 2" and are 2" wider. For me, they put my hands and arms in a much more comfortable and natural position. No more burning. I bought my bike new 3 years ago and if I had it to do over again, I would have put these bars on immediately after purchase.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:28 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Luisan you never mentioned what year your bike is and what model. That would help in determining fit.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Quick Reply: Handlebars and cables