Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

another exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Diamond lil 2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another exhaust question

has areanybody ran their stock mufflers with true duals or Vance and Hines header I've listened to five different trikes Some too loud with rineharts with true duals some aren't loud at all the dealership told me for some reason on trikes the exhaust seems louder I don't know if that's true? thank you

Old 12-14-2014, 07:19 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Wife has 2012 Tri with gutted cat, air cleaner, 3 1/2" Rinehart slipons, and PCV tuner. Had exactly the same on my 2012 Limited. There was no difference in the sound of the two bikes, and I really don't see how there would be. Everything is the same exhaust wise. If anything, the Triglide is maybe a little quieter going down the road from the rider's perspective because the box blocks a little of the sound.

Bill

Old 12-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond lil 2010
has areanybody ran their stock mufflers with true duals or Vance and Hines header I've listened to five different trikes Some too loud with rineharts with true duals some aren't loud at all the dealership told me for some reason on trikes the exhaust seems louder I don't know if that's true? thank you
Yes. Many here do.

Trike motors are not louder than let's say an Ultra or a Dyna. The body of the trike will block some of the sound from reaching the rider. If you are riding behind someone with open baffles such as you may find in a 2-1 exhaust system or a muffler baffle over 2.0" then you may think their exhaust is loud. Whether it be a bike or a trike makes no difference at all.

As for who does what... Some do not change their head pipe or take out the catalytic converter but they use aftermarket mufflers.

Some change the head pipe only, aftermarket 2-1-2 or true duals and use their stock mufflers. Just make sure the pipe size matches inlet to outlet. (1.75")

The majority change both but as you say... some are too loud and we don't know how loud they are until it's too late, cash spent.

Change one thing at a time making sure it works for you. However I'm a long time advocate of the first modification for your motor should always be a proper Tuner. I've seen 10 or more percentage gains after a good tune was applied to a stock configuration.

A bike that is tuned properly will also change the exhaust note while it's running more efficiently. That said, you may not change anything after tuning.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Diamond lil 2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Wizzard thanks for the input.i always do cams and thundermax tuners. This time I gonna stay as stock as possible.my wife rides also she doesn't want the noise.i think I will take your advice and start with a se tuner. And then go from there.thanks for the advice

Old 12-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond lil 2010
i think I will take your advice and start with a se tuner. And then go from there.thanks for the advice
Take some time and do research on the right tuning product for you as there seems to be strong differences of opinion at to which one is the best.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:53 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Wife and I are on our 3rd and 4th Harley Trike. We kept the head pipe and Cat intact on all the trikes, makes it easier to trade or sell down the road. We have used Rush, and Reinhardt slip-on mufflers, didn't need a tuner, just a download from the dealer. Sound was deep and a tad louder (personal opinion) but the whole decision is personal taste. I have been in contact with Python (owned by V & H now) Had Python mufflers on my Dyna and her Nightrain. LOUD, but we loved the sound. They told me that any Python product tht will fit a Harley Touring model will fit both her Tri and my Free...
Happy Shopping!