Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

GPS MPGH vs Speedo MPH

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:22 AM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS MPGH vs Speedo MPH

And no I am not talking about a speedo you wear ... you do not wanna see this in a speedo.

Every bike I've ever owned the speedometer has read low ... about 8% (even non Harleys) ... I usually go by the GPS MPH ... On the infotainment system the speedo and the gps mph are dead on ...

So here's the question .... Does anyone know if Harley just cheated and took the input from the speedo and put it into the infotainment system? Or ... does the GPS actually calculate mph via satellites and the Speedo is accurate? Or .. I guess another option would be that both the speedo and gps are off ... say 8% low. Wouldn't it be really nice if Harley in their Rushmore "listening" actually "heard" to make the speedo accurate?

I'd love to replace the mph field on my GPS with something else ... only an option if the mph on the speedo is accurate.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Actually, if you drive real fast, the rear tire gets larger and self corrects I think? That is what they do on the TV. However, RIP is in the way for me to look and if I do, she snatches my ear around. Want to see my speedo or RIP in her new thong?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-02-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:35 AM
red sport.
Tourer
Received 222 Likes on 45 Posts

don't know about all that you said But, here is what I found out, my spedo is slower on a worn tire & when tire is replace it matches my gps, you wouldn't think it But, notice next time you get new tires.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:39 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by red sport.
don't know about all that you said But, here is what I found out, my spedo is slower on a worn tire & when tire is replace it matches my gps, you wouldn't think it But, notice next time you get new tires.
Makes sense. When the tire is worn, you have about 1/4 inch less tread on the tire. A quarter inch times 2 means that the diameter of your tire is about 1/2 inch less than a new one, so, yes the number of revolutions the tire makes per mile per hour would be different on a new one versus an old one.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:34 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by red sport.
Given the same time span of travel the worn tire would travel less distance.

Using the example of a 1/4" of wear, the resulting differential from worn to new would be 1.43% hardly noticeable, especially when the allowable deviation for the speedo is 2%.

Using the above at 60 MPH on a new tire the resulting speed would be 59.14 MPH as you can see kinda splitting hairs, yes you are traveling slower but I don't think you would see that little bit of difference from the speedo to the GPS.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a Garmin with you on a ride and you will know for sure.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T'was my thought too ... Just thought someone would know where the infotainment system mph gets it's input.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:42 PM
red sport.
Tourer

I have a Tom Tom Ease mounted it showed about 2 mph differents between GPS & speedometer. in my post I said GPS. if I remember right it's the same on my car.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Is a GPS only correct for mph in a straight line with level road?

Old 02-02-2015, 02:37 PM
red sport.
Tourer

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Is a GPS only correct for mph in a straight line with level road?
I don't think it matter, straight, curves or circles.

Quick Reply: GPS MPGH vs Speedo MPH