Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD Extended Reach bars vs Klock Werks Ergo Backs vs LA Choppers 10" Apes vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts
Default HD Extended Reach bars vs Klock Werks Ergo Backs vs LA Choppers 10" Apes vs ?

I know that there are umpteen threads about replacement bars for the Tri Glide and touring bikes, but I've bounced from thread to thread on what would be best for me, and my head hurts. Hopefully this will help some others facing a similar situation.

It looks like these three are the best options for replacing handlebars that move the grips back a bit for those of us that need a more upright riding position. In addition, from all I've read, I think that they can all three be installed without having to extend any wires, cables or tubing.

So, who's got 'em, and what do you think? Other options?

Oh, and I think we need to specify if your experience is for pre-2014 or not, that looks like it makes a big difference in who can use the info. Or we'll have to read your tag line.

Thanks folks. I'm hoping to get all my winter mods started here in the next few weeks, and that's the biggest one I don't have fully scoped out yet.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:56 PM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 2014 Tri Glide. I had the dealer install the HD reduced reach bars after about the first 2 months. They were better then stock, but I still wanted something a little higher & a little more back. I just installed Khrome Werks 2+2 narrow sweepers a couple weeks ago. They feel better just sitting on it, but to cold out to try. These bars are about 2" higher & 2'' back more then the HD reduced reach bars. On the first install that the dealer did they added the wire extension kit, So when I switched bars I had no troubles with anything. The clutch & brake hose are stock & fit just fine.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default 2+2 wide sweepers

I just installed Krome Werks sweepers 39.3 inches wide look great I used them also replaced Clutch cable 65" inches long +3 from OEM. pics. I decided to use sweepers I have a 2" inch tank lift these bars are just to the top of the batwing ride SAFE fearless
remember what works for one may not for someone else

Attached Thumbnails HD Extended Reach bars vs Klock Werks Ergo Backs vs LA Choppers 10" Apes vs ?-dsc01252.jpg   HD Extended Reach bars vs Klock Werks Ergo Backs vs LA Choppers 10" Apes vs ?-dsc01232.jpg   HD Extended Reach bars vs Klock Werks Ergo Backs vs LA Choppers 10" Apes vs ?-dsc01254.jpg   HD Extended Reach bars vs Klock Werks Ergo Backs vs LA Choppers 10" Apes vs ?-dsc01236.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 08:30 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a 2013 and went with the LA Chopper twin peaks 10" These are bars for a tall person. I am 6' 1" and in full turn at full arm extension. Nice for me, I like the relief on my shoulders, and perfect for long highway runs, and that is 95% of my riding style. No extensions required.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
I have a 2013 and went with the LA Chopper twin peaks 10" These are bars for a tall person. I am 6' 1" and in full turn at full arm extension. Nice for me, I like the relief on my shoulders, and perfect for long highway runs, and that is 95% of my riding style. No extensions required.
Cables, wires and everything stock fit these bars?

Old 02-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tr1Rid3r
Cables, wires and everything stock fit these bars?
Yes, on the 2013 I did not need any new cable, or wires.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool

LA 10" bars are 34" tip to tip and the stock bars are 32" apart. Should be about the same turn radius and reach. Wild One 578s 10" are 36.5". Or am I missing something here? Can you tilt the LA 10" bars back any?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't know about ape hangers but I know you can the sweepers

Old 02-25-2015, 04:36 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hard Ride
LA 10" bars are 34" tip to tip and the stock bars are 32" apart. Should be about the same turn radius and reach. Wild One 578s 10" are 36.5". Or am I missing something here? Can you tilt the LA 10" bars back any?
Hard Ride, Yes the LA Choppers can be tilted back some. You have to check clearance to the tank. I have the tank lift kit 1 1/2 and tilted back as far are I can without touching the tank. They sit higher of coarse so your reach may be more even though you pull them back. I personally like that I have more arm extension, it helps relax my shoulders and neck better than the stock bars.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks!

I ordered the Ergo Backs, I'll let you know how installation went in a couple of weeks; a ride report may be a while after that unless this weather starts cooperating.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 02-28-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Because Mom taught me to always say thank you.

Quick Reply: HD Extended Reach bars vs Klock Werks Ergo Backs vs LA Choppers 10" Apes vs ?