Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

First Harley

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:31 PM
jpweld
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Harley

I want to mark off one of my bucket list items and I think I'm getting close to doing it. I have commercial property closing escrow soon. I thought this was going to happen a couple of years ago but the deal fell through.

I'm been watching this forum for a while and think I have some good ides on what to add to the basic trike. I'm turning 71 years old in a couple of weeks so this will be my last bike. I did have a bike years ago. I had a BSA 441 Victor for a few years 1967-1970 and i enjoyed riding it but I always wanted a full dress Harley. The wife has never been on a bike, she is nine years younger then myself. She's game but she says she won't get on a two wheeler. She has had both knees replaced. Well now when this deal closes we'll be able to get what we want on the trike for comfort, performance and ease. So i'm look for advice on set the trike up for and old guy and his younger wife. I'm afraid if she has an unpleasant experience she won't want to ride.

I had a welding shop so i have some tools, I should be able to install somethings myself. I'm not as nimble as I used too be don't see like I use too and my hearing is shoot, so fancy audio equipment is out. but to be able to communicate be tween each other while on the trike would be nice. along with the proper head gear to go along with it. We should be able to buy what we want but then again don't want to over pay either.

Thanks for any help

Old 05-25-2015, 10:38 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome, you have given this some serious thought. Enjoy the ride. Jim

Old 05-26-2015, 03:15 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome

Everyone's ride is a little different as it should be bars windshield mufflers etc. Make sure the air pressure is set correctly and tire pressure is correct, these are probably the two most important ride items. You should get to know your new ride long before your bride gets on with you. Your confidence in your ability's will go a long way with her comfort. Welcome... a great group of people live here with a wealth of knowledge willing to share and help. ride safely fearless

Old 05-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Well, I assume you're going with a TRI GLIDE Ultra, this will give you the communications and audio system you'll need. As for helmets and headsets, I prefer Fulmer helmets and J&M headsets, but that's me.
Yes, air pressure in the shocks and tires are necessary for a comfortable ride. Weight of you and the passenger will dictate the air in the shocks, I like 24 pounds in bot h rear tires, 40 in the front.
When you get the trike, take the time for YOU to get comfortable driving the trike, practice in parking lots, turns, slowing and stopping, take offs, shifting gears etc...when you're comfortable take her for a ride. Nice and easy, make it an enjoyable experience for her and she'll be hooked...back roads, nice scenery makes for a good ride.
Take your time, get very comfortable with all the controls and brakes before she gets on..
Good luck and welcome to the three wheel family..