Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:43 PM
jpweld
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Protection

I'm planning on buying a 2015 TG July 1st. I was asking he salesman about paint protection. We were look a TG back in 2013 and I think the salesman then said they offered a 3M clear film. We were not able to do the deal on a TG then. But now we are looking again and in the mean time I have been looking at a couple Trike forums. and I thought I read that HD doesn't offer the 3M product anymore. It wasn't very good I think it had problems. I asked him what he thought about Expel film. He said he didn't know about that but they offered a spray. A spray for the bike and wheels. Does anybody know about what he's talking about. Is it any good? and if not what is the best paint protection for scratches and chips.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:22 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

A buddy had the dealer apply the Harley film on his 2013, and he likes it. It still looks pretty good. If you want to go that way, the Expel film is probably fine, but do make sure that you get it put on before adding the fender rails or saddlebags, or they'll have to take them back off to install it.

The spray stuff is called 3M Paint Defender, and it makes a clear plastic coating when built up with 3 or 4 applications. The idea is that you spray it on at the beginning of each season, and then peel it off and re-apply for the next. Here's a link to the 3M page:

http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender

Old 06-14-2015, 08:33 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

I had my fenders, side covers, gap between fenders and side covers, and top of the tour pak done in the 3m. I get bugs on the 3m like crazy and they wash right off with just soap and water. They do chip seal here too ... and the film holds up to little chips too.

It comes with a life time warranty ... I did this on the back of my saddle bags and top of the tour pak on the 11 ultra to protect the paint from the flags and it was on three years. I had one start to peel and it was replaced for free.

Just realized I didn't explain why I do the top of the tour pak ... I have a monkey (stuffed) that rides on the tour pak rack ... his tail scuffs the paint if not protected. He's the monkey on my back.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 PM
jpweld
Novice

A buddy had the dealer apply the Harley film on his 2013, and he likes it. It still looks pretty good. If you want to go that way, the Expel film is probably fine, but do make sure that you get it put on before adding the fender rails or saddlebags, or they'll have to take them back off to install it.

The spray stuff is called 3M Paint Defender, and it makes a clear plastic coating when built up with 3 or 4 applications. The idea is that you spray it on at the beginning of each season, and then peel it off and re-apply for the next. Here's a link to the 3M page:

http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender
Oogie, your Trike is a mirror of the one we want to get. Thanks for the reply. I called he Expel dealers here in town to ask about price and any prep on our part and do I need to get it done before adding stuff to the bike. He seem confused on what I wanted it installed on and said no it didn't mater to him he could work around the stuff. Gave me a price of $600.00 but didn't explain what all he was going to covering. I just figured I'd take it by to have look at and show me what parts he is protecting. For the price he Quoted me over the phone maybe the spray would be cheaper and cover what I want. Thanks again

Old 06-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Diamond lil 2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't worry about it.it adds character..

Old 06-15-2015, 01:43 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

The big problem with the 3M kit from Harley is the coverage on the compound curves like the fenders. It didn't cover the outside curve to the side area. Also if it gets a scar like from a boot or small rock that didn't go through the film, you have to replace it to get rid of the damage.
With the Expel film it will heal itself at least with scars. Neither film will stop a big hit, but does well with smaller hits. I have the 3M kit from HD.
When I put it on, about a week later a rock missed the film on the rear fender outer curve.
When I replace the film it will be with the Expel.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond lil 2010
I don't worry about it.it adds character..
Yep, have 57K miles worth of paint chips on my fenders and proud of them. Gonna add some flames to the fairing and fenders some day. Then I can start all over with the chips.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:54 PM
scuba1954
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had my 14 tirke covered with XPEL. It has a 10 year warranty and it is self healing. My wife had scuffed the fender one time when she got off and I left the trike in the sun and about a half hour later the scuff was gone. If you go to www.XPEL.com you can see the videos of the self healing. They also have a link to find a local dealer. I have my fairing upper and lowers done, top of front fender front to back, side panels, area between the rear fender and side covers and the rear fenders covered from the front edge to the rear tail light. The installer was really good. He did inside/outside and compound corners without any problems. I love this stuff and would do it again if I bought another trike. I have a lot of friends who have put this stuff on their hot rods.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:05 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

3m now has a spray on protectant. It can be removed and replaced if chips happen. Defendant Spray on film.

Amazon.com: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film: Automotive

Old 06-19-2015, 04:22 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

I had mine done with the 3M and so far no issues with it but if and when the time comes to replace it I will likely go with XPEL.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection