Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

DIY Discrete Breather System

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
Default DIY Discrete Breather System

Sorry if this has been discussed on Tri Glide already, performed a search and did not find any relevant topic.
So I am curious if others are using the DYI Discrete Breather's on their Tri Glides.
1. What version do you have?
2. Where do you place?
3. Did you have to drill and tap?

I am thinking about getting one but am kind of at a loss as to info on them, what to order, and do not like drilling and tapping if I can get as good of improvement without doing so.
FYI
I currently have a Arlen Ness Big Sucker with stock AC cover. I prefer not to change AC covers as it is an Anniversary Ed.
Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Fusionfool; 06-17-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:16 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Contact the good folks at DK Custom Products,they'll be more than happy to answer your questions and point you in the right direction.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:42 AM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

What he said. ^^^^

Old 06-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

I installed my Outlaw 587 and breather system today. I ordered it all Monday and it arrived today. I had to go buy a few washers to place between the back of the support bracket and the face of the mounting screws. I also bought a few more hose clamps and clamped every flanged connection. May not have needed to do that but I felt more comfortable doing so. I routed my filtered breather tube down the front of the frame and zip tied it to the front bracket of the floorboard. The tubing is noticeable but not so much I don't like it.

Sorry cut it short due to lightning and heavy rain.
no drilling, The breather bolts have a flange on them to connect to the 3/8 tubing. One tube each side of the filter leading down to a T connection, which leads to a single tube to the exhausted air filter. I bought mine at DK Customs Outlaw 587 complete air cleaner with Discrete breather system.

Was glad to quit due to the high heat and humidity this afternoon. Been thinking now that it is done how to improve the looks a little. May go back and make some adjustments tomorrow.

Last edited by Mr.Softy; 06-17-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:17 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tr1Rid3r
I installed my Outlaw 587 and breather system today. I ordered it all Monday and it arrived today. I had to go buy a few washers to place between the back of the support bracket and the face of the mounting screws. I also bought a few more hose clamps and clamped every flanged connection. May not have needed to do that but I felt more comfortable doing so. I routed my filtered breather tube down the front of the frame and zip tied it to the front bracket of the floorboard. The tubing is noticeable but not so much I don't like it.

Sorry cut it short due to lightning and heavy rain.
no drilling, The breather bolts have a flange on them to connect to the 3/8 tubing. One tube each side of the filter leading down to a T connection, which leads to a single tube to the exhausted air filter. I bought mine at DK Customs Outlaw 587 complete air cleaner with Discrete breather system.

Was glad to quit due to the high heat and humidity this afternoon. Been thinking now that it is done how to improve the looks a little. May go back and make some adjustments tomorrow.
So now that you are all done, what kind of differences do you notice?
Were you moving from stock breather, to the 587, or did you already have a different intake?
Thanks, just trying to compare notes

Old 06-24-2015, 06:13 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

I have only had the opportunity to do one 22 mile trip since the install.
I did go from a stock box to this Outlaw.
I tried not to read into the ride and color my opinion.
I did think that my bike was better than it was before. The gears just came a bit earlier and the trike seemed to have slightly more power. All this might just be in my head and I won't get another chance to ride until maybe tomorrow.
I did notice a change in the shifting in the trike and it was better. So I am happy so far. More road time will be the judge.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:06 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

This is my solution, I'm not into cleaning filters, was down that path some years back. I would rather drain a tank.

On my 06 Ultra I use an AC from Doherty Machine, IMO its a work of art. Shame is Doherty closed up, but http://traskperformance.com/product/...filter-kit/29/ started making the same AC with some improvements.

Last edited by msocko3; 06-26-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:57 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Sorry if this has been discussed on Tri Glide already, performed a search and did not find any relevant topic.
So I am curious if others are using the DYI Discrete Breather's on their Tri Glides.
1. What version do you have?
2. Where do you place?
3. Did you have to drill and tap?

I am thinking about getting one but am kind of at a loss as to info on them, what to order, and do not like drilling and tapping if I can get as good of improvement without doing so.
FYI
I currently have a Arlen Ness Big Sucker with stock AC cover. I prefer not to change AC covers as it is an Anniversary Ed.
Thanks in advance,
The only way to do it with the Big Sucker is to drill and tap with one of the DIY Kits.

Even if you go with a catch can (which can be pretty cool, I've seen all sorts of cans used for them)...it is still a drill & tap job with the AN BS.

Here's a pic of where I have my filter located. I run at full oil (or close) and have no dripping on the ground, or spray on the under carriage. This pic is from the other day with 8000 miles on it since a wash.

It takes 1 minute to spray it off every 5000 miles or so.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-27-2015, 06:42 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

I did end up taping in to the stand off's, I then used old vented breather bolt I had, and cut them shorter. I then used a self tapping screw and a bit of JB weld to plug the vent holes in the backplane. The catch filter hose runs forward behind the push rod, down and back by the drain plug so an easy reminder to clean when changing oil / transmission fluid.
Thanks for the posts, it gave me some good ideas.
Pictures at later time when I can get dressed up with some hose covers.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:05 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just ordered the kit from DK. I will post pictures when I install it on my freewheeler.

Quick Reply: DIY Discrete Breather System