Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2015 Freewheeler extremely hot on the right leg

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 09:12 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Here is another Screwball Theory. IF she is burning her inner thigh it would be my guess she is resting it on the air cleaner, or is getting radiated heat from the barrel. You can spend a bunch removing the Cat, but it is under your right foot, and will do nothing to lower head or barrel temps. Exhaust gas is about 1200 degrees, the restriction in the pipes won't make it any hotter. If you read the 'sticky' thread about removing heat you will see that even after all the 'stuff' done temps were lower by 30 or 40 degrees. BUT head temps of 300* lowered by even 100* will still boil water and burn the crap out of you.
We have been on trikes since '09. The only thing we have found to work is distance. you have to learn to NOT squeeze your legs together. You won't slide off If your legs are touching anything you will get burned. The wider apart they are. the less likely you are to get toasted.

Best of luck

Old 07-12-2015, 08:09 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Here is another Screwball Theory. IF she is burning her inner thigh it would be my guess she is resting it on the air cleaner, or is getting radiated heat from the barrel. You can spend a bunch removing the Cat, but it is under your right foot, and will do nothing to lower head or barrel temps. Exhaust gas is about 1200 degrees, the restriction in the pipes won't make it any hotter. If you read the 'sticky' thread about removing heat you will see that even after all the 'stuff' done temps were lower by 30 or 40 degrees. BUT head temps of 300* lowered by even 100* will still boil water and burn the crap out of you.
We have been on trikes since '09. The only thing we have found to work is distance. you have to learn to NOT squeeze your legs together. You won't slide off If your legs are touching anything you will get burned. The wider apart they are. the less likely you are to get toasted.

Best of luck

So True!! And once you get out on the highway....the highway pegs work wonders to cool down your legs....the passenger can always rest her legs on yours....nothing like getting close!

Old 07-12-2015, 12:02 PM
slvr_bullit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. The left leg was worse then the right, so its not just the cat. Im sure some of it has to do with her being short and the seat we had made pushes her up closer to the bars. That means the legs are closer to the rear cylinder, which isn't getting much air to cool down. It was over 110 degrees outside and we were stuck in traffic. She can only spread her legs away from the bike so far and the heat was radiating from the motor. Stop and go traffic just isn't conducive to turning the bike on and off and I doubt the heat would have came down much in the short time it was off... not to mention the additional wear and tear on the starter. Even though we were on the California side of the border, the freewheeler couldn't split lanes as I could on my FLHXS. I was in the same traffic and no burns. My motor must have ran much cooler.