Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 Lost engine on way home from Sturgis.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 07:40 AM
jackt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Lost engine on way home from Sturgis.

The wife and 2sons & wives and a friend went to Sturgis again 8/1/15 had a ball and hitevery good road in SD & WY again.
Left Sturgis heading for Bear tooth and Yellowstone just outside of Cody WYstarted having lots of noise in bottom end of engine, stopped at Cody customcycle (Ray Burns a ex Harley tech nice guy) he said it was in lower engine. Imade arrangements with the local T shirt Harley which is part of Bear ToothHarley in Billings MT to leave there for pick up (which everyone there wasreally great also) Bear Tooth picked up and has new engine on the way, said itwas totally destroyed not repairable.
Had to rent the only car for days in Cody $189.00 a day plus gas 3 days to getback to Wichita KS.
Could not get this car until next day so had to stay another day.

And now I have to go back and get it 940 miles from my house.
Has anyone else had experience like this?
It seems Harley doesn't help much with these expenses.
Let me know your experience with issue like this/
Thank

Jackt

Old 08-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Could have been the timing chain tensioner. They caught a bad piston on mine (2013) while they set up the Trike right out of truck, they checked because they had heard the slightest sound, they had to replace the piston they said before it would be ready for me. It was intermittent sticky is how they described it.

Now for something to try, you should have received a HOG membership 1 year free with the trike, they would have helped with some expense, not sure if you can go back and get any money through them?

Last edited by Fusionfool; 08-24-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:14 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Could have been the timing chain tensioner. They caught a bad piston on mine (2013) while they set up the Trike right out of truck, they checked because they had heard the slightest sound, they had to replace the piston they said before it would be ready for me. It was intermittent sticky is how they described it.

Now for something to try, you should have received a HOG membership 1 year free with the trike, they would have helped with some expense, not sure if you can go back and get any money through them?

I'm betting one of the cheap assed made in Mexico lifters went south and trashed stuff in the cam chest. Since they went to the new designed tensioners, they have been almost bullet proof.