Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TriGlide Rear Shock Replacement Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might also look at the Terrycable offering. I have them on my Triglide, while not the shock that the Ohlin 3-3 from MotorcycleMetal I had on my old FLHTCU was its vastly better than the stock OEM triglide shocks were.

http://www.terrycable.com/Ultra-Trik...ocks_c_10.html

Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 AM
routhmd
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to you like the Progressive 444 shocks.

Originally Posted by neon65
There was a thread a while back on this. I installed the Progressive 444-4020B black 13" heavy duty. Put three turns preload and haven't touched them. Also mount them upside down so you can get to the adjuster if need be....
I am considering getting these shocks and was wondering how is the ride and handling? They also sell the front end replacement to match these shocks. I don't like air shocks and replaced my last Ultra with Progresiive lowered rear airless shocks.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:42 PM
neon65
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by routhmd
I am considering getting these shocks and was wondering how is the ride and handling? They also sell the front end replacement to match these shocks. I don't like air shocks and replaced my last Ultra with Progresiive lowered rear airless shocks.
No change for the handling but seems to take the same rough spots in the road a lot smoother. Haven't tried to adjust from the 3 turn preload, and probably won't. I like the adjustment where they are for now.
Jim

Old 09-22-2015, 02:50 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by routhmd
I'm no fan of air shocks either, I have to believe sooner or later Harley will do away with the rear air shocks like they did with the air in the forks years ago. If my dad was to need a new set of rears I'd have him go progressive without the air.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:10 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anyone talked to Howard at Motorcycle Metal about Ohlins for the TG?

I absolutely loved the ones he built me for my '10 Ultra and may be interested in doing the same thing on the TG.

If Howard's in Daytona at Biketoberfest, I plan to discuss options with him.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:04 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have 2 sets of progressive air shocks. They have custom springs in them for a mystery fender package. I will try one set on the freewheeler later on.
2 sets is a bit much for a good ride, but they perform way beyond anything else I have tried.
I am not that fond of air shocks, mainly there are only a few that are true air shocks.
Maybe a set for a corvette, true air shocks, may do it.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:04 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

dirtdobber, when I had an Ultra, I literally spent gobs of money on numerous air shock configurations, including customizing a set of Corvette air shocks with an onboard compressor!

In short, none of it worked! Too rough, too spongy, poor handling, yada, yada.

So I went with a traditional shock approach and called Howard as his reputation on motorcycle suspensions for both street and track is sterling. I told Howard how I rode, what I rode and filled out his questionnaire.

The Ohlin shocks he built for me were perfect! I set them up exactly by his instruction and specification, WOW what a difference!

Final confirmation was from the wife who's back would begin hurting after 100 miles or less with everything I had done. Her statement was, "I don't care how much they cost, it is the best money you have ever spent on a motorcycle!" She never had another problem with her back hurting.

I also turned several friends onto the same solution, helped them with ordering and setup their suspension. All of them responded similarly.

That's why I want to see if Howard has something available for the TG. Just wished Progressive made the mono-tube cartridges for the forks. Those are a worthy upgrade as well.