Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Best way to secure a Trike on a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Geezer Glide Rider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to secure a Trike on a trailer?

I live in Arizona during the winter and on the Oregon coast during the summer so I will be trailering my trike twice a year as I travel back and forth. I have a nice light weight all aluminum flat bet trailer (5 1/2' W X 10' L) with good tie down anchor points but I'm wondering about wheel blocks or locks of some type that will help provide additional prevention of any for & aft movement while traveling. I will use heavy duty ratchet straps like I used to use on my old dirt bikes but I'm a little concerned about the trike's weight and its potential for movement on the trailer - especially if I have to make a panic stop or something similar. I'd love to just ride it back and forth but I need my car also.

Anyone have experience with trailering your trike? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:34 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

front wheel chock and use the tie down locations under the back on the swingarm.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:46 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

X 2 on front wheel chock. I have midpoint carbuckle ratchet straps I connect to the Tri Glide tie down loops underneath by the axel, tighten and secure trike into the wheel chock. Next I have two forward Dl-rings that I secure through the front tire with ratchet strap. Then I have two axel strap 36 in, that go through the rear wheels and secure to the other side rear carbuckle ratchet straps. Make sure to cross, this will help side to side movement. I travel long distances as well, and do check the straps for tightness about mid distance, them will loosen a little depending on road condition.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:39 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

I followed Fusionfool's advice when I got my trailer last spring. Works great. The front wheel chock is the key ingredient.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:48 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

Originally Posted by KJB
I followed Fusionfool's advice when I got my trailer last spring. Works great. The front wheel chock is the key ingredient.
Keith,
You will note I change the rear tie down method to strapping through the tires with axel straps. I found that it helped keep the trike more stable through rough roads. Shaping the rear tire so pressure is down stays more secure because the suspension is not a factor any longer. I still use the mid frame tie wit the loops, that is mostly for limiting the suspension bounce. The front and rear ties area what is actually holding the trike secure.
So I bet your getting excited for the travel to FL in about a month?

Old 09-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Geezer Glide Rider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very helpful. Thanks. I will buy a front wheel chock to add to the mix and take your great advice about how to route straps.

Any recommendations on which wheel chock? I see a pretty big price range that runs from about $50 to over $250. Is it true for a wheel chock that the higher the price the better the product? How much better do I need?

I've heard all the arguments about buying American made vs. Chinese "knock offs" along with "high quality vs. cheap crap" and its hard to know the truth. Often claims about high quality come from the seller or someone who already spent a lot of money has needs to keep justifying it. Anyone using the "cheap" one from Northern Tool? How is it holding up?

Old 09-27-2015, 12:05 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the cheep wheel chock. Dont remember which one but it is from Harbor Freight. This is bolted to the floor with four 3/8" bolts through the floor of my enclosed trailer but would work the same for you. I run the trike up into the trailer and into the wheel chock. Then I run two straps from the D ring on the underside of the rear axle going forward in a cross pattern. Then I run two more straps from the same D ring to the back of the trike in an X pattern. I have E track in my trailer so I can put a D ring anyplace I choose. The thing you have to watch is when you tighten them up you don't put pressure on the mufflers with the strap. That's it, all it takes. Simple and quick. It has been to Daytona once and Sturgis twice from Ohio. Never moved an inch. We check the straps often, at least every other fuel stop. Now behind that is my Electra Glide and we have a more expensive chock for that bike. But that is due to a two wheeler is more prone to falling over as you get on and off, before strapping down and also it has to be removable to get the trike out. I use the Wheel Dock for that one. All those features are not needed with the trike. It stays permanently in the front of the trailer and the trike certainly will not fall over. All you need it something to keep it from rolling forward.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:29 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Geezer Glide Rider
Very helpful. Thanks. I will buy a front wheel chock to add to the mix and take your great advice about how to route straps.

Any recommendations on which wheel chock? I see a pretty big price range that runs from about $50 to over $250. Is it true for a wheel chock that the higher the price the better the product? How much better do I need?

I've heard all the arguments about buying American made vs. Chinese "knock offs" along with "high quality vs. cheap crap" and its hard to know the truth. Often claims about high quality come from the seller or someone who already spent a lot of money has needs to keep justifying it. Anyone using the "cheap" one from Northern Tool? How is it holding up?
The Wheel Chock I have is made by my trailer manufacture, Iron Horse. It is your basic drive in step off version. I like the drive in step off because if your trailer is at an angle rear down it will still hold pretty good until you can get off and secure. Just one less hassle while loading. Then I had them put in 4 of these CargoBuckle G3 Retractable ratchet Tie-Downs.
http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.aspx?partnum=CBG3
2 mid trike to attach to the loops by the axel, and 2 in the back about 6" to the inside of the tire path so you don't run over them. Then just 2 D-Rings in front of the wheel chock to strap front tire into wheel chock.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:35 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

I did notice that Todd and I will follow your advice. I've only trailered my Trike twice and it seemed rock solid both times but I was on relatively smooth roads. We don't leave for FL until the end of January to spend February and March there. It will be here before we know it but we sure have been having some nice fall weather here in WI. Sorry you are missing out on it.

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Keith,
You will note I change the rear tie down method to strapping through the tires with axel straps. I found that it helped keep the trike more stable through rough roads. Shaping the rear tire so pressure is down stays more secure because the suspension is not a factor any longer. I still use the mid frame tie wit the loops, that is mostly for limiting the suspension bounce. The front and rear ties area what is actually holding the trike secure.
So I bet your getting excited for the travel to FL in about a month?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

Originally Posted by KJB
I did notice that Todd and I will follow your advice. I've only trailered my Trike twice and it seemed rock solid both times but I was on relatively smooth roads. We don't leave for FL until the end of January to spend February and March there. It will be here before we know it but we sure have been having some nice fall weather here in WI. Sorry you are missing out on it.
Yeh this weekend was hard, seeing all the bikes out, and I could not ride was tearing me up. Oh well next spring will come fast and I will be all healed.
Safe travels and maybe take a stop by Iron Horse just to have them take a look over the trailer on the way down or back. They fixed a few things for me I was not even aware needed fixing.

Quick Reply: Best way to secure a Trike on a trailer?