Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

A Follow Up to my New Battery Install Fiasco!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:18 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts
Default A Follow Up to my New Battery Install Fiasco!

What a Fiasco!! Some lessons learned for sure.

A week ago I purchased a new battery for my Tri Glide from a ebay supplier, it was delivered in 3 days, so I had a little bit of a wait before the re-install. No Problem! During the 3 day wait, I did some routine cleaning and maintenance, reread some posts here on the forum, hoping the reinstall would go smoother than the how the battery came out of it's home under the seat. All went well, put the new battery in the correct way, tightened up all connections, put on the seat, and tried to start her up. NOTHING! I can't believe this! Thinking that my new battery was not fully charged, I uncovered the seat, took off the battery cover, checked all the fuses, retightened all the connections, and put it on my buddies battery charger. Two more days pass.....new battery is fully charged! Put it all back together...still nothing! I can't #$%5#*8Yfuc#$ing believe this!

So my buddy is the type of person who loves to take things apart, he wants to attack my bike....could be the starter, or the relay in the handlebars, or the stator, or the battery is discharging....or any one of a number of wrong solutions.

I'm truly frustrated at this point, and have had enough of this at home fix it phase I started. Most of you know by now where this story is going....

I call a tow truck and have the bike towed to Performance Cycles. Joe the mechanic calls me the next day....biked is fixed!!

One and a half billable hours for $135.00, $60.00 towing charge, a new $120.00 Deka battery, at least 10 hours of my time, for a new

$4.29 key fob battery

Old 01-14-2016, 08:57 AM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

that really does sux. but for me your costly lesson learned will be an educational one for me too remember if/when I should encounter same situation. I do carry xtra fob batteries in tourpack. happy too hear in the long run you got it sorted out. thnx for the update.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:06 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

Consider it an education.
Do you feel better for "spillin' the beans"?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:15 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Consider it an education.
Do you feel better for "spillin' the beans"?
I do feel better! Learned a few things as well. At least the bike is clean, has a new battery, and is ready to go....nice day today, may hit 60 degrees....going for a ride.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:46 AM
NHBAGGER
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

When I got my 14, they told me to replace the battery in the fob every year whether it needs it or not. May have been good advice.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Muffbrorick
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

If the battery in the FOB is dead can the trike be started using the procedure on the little card you got when you bought it??

Old 01-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I guess I'll be adding that to the list of batteries to change when I change the clocks!

Old 01-14-2016, 03:23 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

If your Trike doesn't have the alarm siren installed, put one on. That way if you are violating the alarm(bad fob) it will go off to warn you . Otherwise just watch the lights flash. If they do most likely the battery is ok..... Check for a reason.
When you turn the switch on, check that all switches are in the on position, your lights should be on. If they are the battery is most likely not the problem.
Just kinda basic............
Expensive lesson ! But one not forgotten !
Ride Safe!

Old 01-15-2016, 05:29 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Hey Sloufoot,
Thanks! the lights did that....I was just too stupid to realize the problem. Know it now!

Old 01-15-2016, 05:38 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

You weren't tipped off when the lights flashed that no FOB was present when you righted the bike off the stand?

Quick Reply: A Follow Up to my New Battery Install Fiasco!