Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri Glide Security

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:09 PM
David Randall
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri Glide Security

OK, we established in a previous thread that the audible alarm on the Tri Glide is practically useless since it takes so much to set it off.

With or without the alarm, the problem remains of someone just releasing the parking brake and rolling it off or into harm's way. I have considered weaving a cable/chain though the rear wheel, using a brake disk lock, sitting on it all night long with a .45 in my hand, etc. All, good but not elegant or preferred solutions.

Lately I have been examining the brake pedal mechanism to see if there was a place to drill a strategic hole for a padlock or add a bracket for the same. Problem with this is anything other than perfect alignment of a single hole - that is not possible without constant brake adjustment - a fixed position does not work 100% of the time.

Come on all you engineer types, any other practical ideas??

Old 02-09-2016, 02:02 PM
lzski326
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I normally put a cable thru the front wheel and around the frame or engine gaurd

Old 02-09-2016, 02:06 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

How about installing something like this? A Manual line lock that would keep the brakes engaged.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Park-L...FZIWHwodchsKaw

Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

When I'm on the road, I put disk locks on both front rotors, engage steering column lock, front brake lever/throttle lock.....and sometimes use my cover depending on the area.

I'm not too concerned about anyone stealing it - face it who in their right mind is going to steal a trike???
I bet you could leave it unlocked and running and no one would take it.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

They generally will not steel a bike, or trike but will take all your accessories. They can resell them without being caught most of the time. I know it does not stop them but I use a cover with alarm. Most of the time I even set it off when trying to disarm. It is loud and obnoxious enough to at least deter the not so professional thief. The ones it will not stop are the ones that does not give a rats *** because they know in America today no one will get involved enough to even call police, or report to hotel after hearing an alarm. Was at a hotel one night and car alarm woke me up, I call the front desk, they said "yeh its been going off for about 2 hrs". OK so did you call the police, they said no, we are trying to find the owner!

Old 02-09-2016, 05:53 PM
David Randall
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
How about installing something like this? A Manual line lock that would keep the brakes engaged.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Park-L...FZIWHwodchsKaw
This is an interesting concept. Looks like it could work but would have to be on the main brake lines, the foot/parking brake is mechanical.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:28 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

You can also install an aftermarket alarm that is adjustable. I had one on my Heritage that also detected someone just walking up to it. Like the Viper for cars.
It also cut the ignition if set off.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:58 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I usually wind a cable through the front wheel back through the frame. Realistically, any thief with a battery powered grinder can overcome my cable in seconds. A determined professional thief will have your bike if he wants it. Hard to beat a good insurance policy, so, that's what I get. Acunna matata baby.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:18 PM
wijr1949
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I use a front disk rotor lock and the fork lock.
I have been thinking about getting a cable to add to the mix.
Like someone said, if they want it, they will get it somehow, no matter what we do to deter them.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:50 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

The best deterrent = it's a trike.

Quick Reply: Tri Glide Security