Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Sporadic Reception On XM, Possible Cure

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Sporadic Reception On XM, Possible Cure

Those of you that live out in the desert areas probably don't have this issue. Those of us that live or ride in the mountains or tree lined roads do. I found that XM reception can be sporadic. This seems to be particularly true if you happen to have one of the metallic paint jobs Harley offers. Have it more with my Metallic Red than the Vivid Black Touring bikes. The XM receiver has a ice cube size weather proof black antenna same material as the dash. I simply put a tiny notch on the inner fairing against the windshield and moved that antenna up on the top to the right of the dash opposite the vent control which is on the left. This seems to help a lot. Don't know if this has been mentioned before here but thought it was worth the post for those of you that get annoyed when that XM cuts out.
Figured it wouldn't hurt to add a couple pics.

Last edited by Gunnysgt; 02-10-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:55 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

The antenna has to connect with the satellite in the sky...mountains, tree-lined roads and canyons obstruct the "waves" from the sky to the XM radio. Do you have the built-in XM radio or portable unit? I got tired of my portable unit cutting out all the time and going off the station. Switched to the HD built-in receiver.

No biggie for me, I just keep on singing the song playing until reception comes back on!!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I have the Harley built in unit. The antenna of that receiver is concealed under your fairing. Moving that antenna up onto the dash out from under the fairing seems to allow the antenna better access to the Sat signal, particularly if you have metallic paint on your fairing.